300 Series Cessna 170 Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby Phugoid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:14 pm

That's a 1/16" notch!
Phugoid

Postby lukebozek1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:12 pm

I have a 300 super cub which has excellent balsa. The Cessna is not close. I won't mention the printwood kit I just got today being this is a Guillow's site, but the wood is excellent. Only negative is that the pieces are very close together on the Ki-27, but otherwise I like doing the printwood kits more and more. Almost ready to do one from plans. Almost ready to fly something besides the Javelin.
lukebozek1

Postby Phugoid » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:40 am

I recommend that if you want to try your first build from plans then have a go at the Veron Truflite Comper Swift. This featured on Mike Stuarts excellent website:

http://www.ffscale.co.uk/comper.htm

Here's mine:

http://youtu.be/vtHMiMglnSY

The thing is I found that I was able to make the Guillows kits fly once I'd had a go at other models due to the experience gained....
Phugoid

Postby lukebozek1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:55 pm

The U-Tube film is incredible, this is out of sight! Did you get that one back?
lukebozek1

Postby Phugoid » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Yes I still have her, she sits on a bookcase in my office at work. The field I fly on is huge and luckily she fell short of the trees in the far distance.....
Phugoid

Postby lukebozek1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Wow, that was incredible. I will never reach that bar. What was the best flyer out of the box you ever had?
lukebozek1

Postby Phugoid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:51 am

Hey Luke, never say never!

It's not my best flyer but it's pretty close, but it shows what can be done with the right wood, rubber, prop etc. Plus of course a smattering of luck - don't think all my models do that, sometimes they refuse to fly altogether!

With some rudder she does do reliable left circuits which is what you want. At the time of the video I had a rush of blood to the head and put on far too many winds before I'd trimmed her properly. In some ways it is a lesson of how not to do things.

The Swift is a natural born flyer for rubber power. It's fine to build Spitfires and ME109's etc, BUT they real thing flew real fast. The Swift was an ultralight plane for real, so flew pretty slow so makes a better rubber model.

I would really recommend you give the Comper Swift a go, you won't be dissapointed...
Phugoid

Previous

Return to General Building Questions