covering

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

covering

Postby cmccrackan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 pm

hey guys, so when i covered my mustang, i did a horrible job. :oops: :( can u help? your covering jobs are always so neat, i thought i would learn from the masters!
cmccrackan

Postby cmccrackan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:27 pm

ok so i have taken your advice and looked at his builds(witch make me want to cry there so good) and i havent got a lot of covering instructions. so if scigs cold type me a covering instruction manual, i would be honered :D
cmccrackan

Postby jack lee » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:27 am

Tissue covering is an art by itself. After reading and looking at a lot of Sciggs 30 samples and instructions I've settled on using 50-50 Elmers glue and water mix to fix the tissue to the balsa. I use a small paint brush. After it dries I spray the tissue with water with a light mister and let it dry completely. This usually removes the worst wrinkles. Then I brush on 50-50 Dope and thinner...three coats. I'll be posting the results of this process on my Stearman PT-17 soon.
I've also experimented with using just the Dope and Thinner to attach the tissue. This requires first brushing the Balsa with three coats of the 50-50 Dope mix and letting them dry before attaching the tissue. I like it because it comes out much smoother. I'm still experimenting. Weight is not a consideration for me right now because I don't build to fly...just static.
Cutting and trimming the tissue is a slow and careful process. I've started cutting "angle slits" in the curved areas of the wing. It helps but I still get some wrinkles.
Mainly, I find it best to keep trying different techniques...I cut off and remove any really terrible areas and re-apply the tissue. I think of this as practice for making repairs after a crash when I try flying.
The main thing for me, though, is to enjoy the process, finish the model I'm working on, and do it better on the next one.
jack lee

Postby cmccrackan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:23 am

thankas jack, this really helps so much. :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
cmccrackan

Return to General Building Questions