New guy from CT

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

New guy from CT

Postby peddlerofpunk » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:47 pm

hello all,

I have been lurking the forums for about a week now, and like what i see, learning a lot. So a bit about myself is oin order i suppose. I am a 26 year old male. I am a IT support tech for saint francis hospital in hartford. I began modeling balsa airplanes at a young age with my father when i was 9 or 10, and continued to build all types of models for a few years there after. I soon discovered hormones and sports so i left my modeling behind. now 10+ years later and i have grown bored with TV , videogames, and other mind numbing electronic media, especially after working on computers all day. So saturday i stopped down to my local hobby shop(i found they arnt doing too well) and picked through their meager selection of Guillows models. I plan to drag my best friend/roommate into this hobby with m, so i picked up three models. The first which i am currently building is the 902 cesna Bird Dog, the second is the 906 - Typhoon(roommate picked this one), and third the 509 - grumman TBF avenger. I plan to build as many as i can get my hands on, unfortunately at my particular shop they tend to sell the "good ones" quickly so its hard to get ahold of a p40 warhawk or a p-51 mustang kit. Guess thats what the internet is for...
peddlerofpunk

Postby BillParker » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 am

Welcome!

Glad you chose our hobby!

As an IT guy, you shouldn't have any probs with this message board, but if you do just say so, and any of dozens of us will be happy to help. Remeber tho when you post pics, you're not posting the pic, but an address where the pic is... follow?

Looking forward to seeing photos of your progress!

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Phugoid » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Welcome, I'm a bit older than you, but much the same story. Ie built these as a kid, got into Football (soccer as you guys call it) and did all of the things you do, I now have kids which keeps me indoors in the evenings so I started again......

The Birddog is a good choice for picking things back up, you know to throw the silly rubber band away that came wih the kit and replace it with some proper rubber if you want it to fly..... right?
Phugoid

Postby dbcisco » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Welcome Peddler.
I was born and raised in Stratford, CT. My first airplane was a diecast model from Igor Sikorsky when I was about six. Been hooked on aircraft ever since. Got back into building models a few years ago. It's a great hobby, enjoy.
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

Postby peddlerofpunk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:05 pm

well my roommate really got into this quick and picked up a 400 series p-51 for himself and grabbed me a supermarine spitfire from the 400 series as well. build order now is
1)bird dog(in progress)
2)500 series grumman
3)300 series piper cub 95
4) 400 series spitfire(hopeful r/c gas conversion)
5)2000 series p-38 lightning(hopeful r/c electric or gas conversion

lot on my plate coming up....

i do plan to order some basic supplies: new rubber, different covering materials, better props...
peddlerofpunk

Re: New guy from CT

Postby hurt138 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:43 pm

peddlerofpunk wrote:hello all,

I have been lurking the forums for about a week now, and like what i see, learning a lot. So a bit about myself is oin order i suppose. I am a 26 year old male. I am a IT support tech for saint francis hospital in hartford. I began modeling balsa airplanes at a young age with my father when i was 9 or 10, and continued to build all types of models for a few years there after. I soon discovered hormones and sports so i left my modeling behind. now 10+ years later and i have grown bored with TV , videogames, and other mind numbing electronic media, especially after working on computers all day. So saturday i stopped down to my local hobby shop(i found they arnt doing too well) and picked through their meager selection of Guillows models. I plan to drag my best friend/roommate into this hobby with m, so i picked up three models. The first which i am currently building is the 902 cesna Bird Dog, the second is the 906 - Typhoon(roommate picked this one), and third the 509 - grumman TBF avenger. I plan to build as many as i can get my hands on, unfortunately at my particular shop they tend to sell the "good ones" quickly so its hard to get ahold of a p40 warhawk or a p-51 mustang kit. Guess thats what the internet is for...

Sounds like the same boat I am in. Its nice to come home from computers all day and do something that doesn't require you to stare at a screen. :)
hurt138

PeddlerofPunk, you live in the Mecca of rubber free flight!

Postby FACNYC » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:10 pm

Peddlerofpunk

Did you know that you live in the rubber-power stick and tissue free flight Mecca in CT! Have you heard of the flying aces club? It's the biggest stick and tissue club in the US, if not the world, and the most active squadron (local chapter) of it is right in Glastonbury CT! We fly at the Glastonbury HS gym in the winter and at the fairgrounds in Durham, CT outdoors from spring to fall.

If you are seriously interested in getting into rubber FF or the FAC (Flying Aces Club) let me know and I'll send you some model plans that will allow you to build a MUCH better and MUCH lighter model than from any Guillow's kit. We're always looking for new members and younger people to join. At 33, I'm one of the youngest members and I joined 10 years ago for the same reasons as you and I've been hooked ever since.

I can send you the event calendar, too. Stop and by and be amazed, a whole new world is about to open up for you! Or just google "Flying Aces Club."

Feel free to e-mail me at andrew.ricci@gmail.com. I hope to hear from you.
FACNYC

Return to General Building Questions