Another Guillows Aeronca Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Another Guillows Aeronca Build

Postby scigs30 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm

I am a firm believer that you do not start another build until you finish what you started. Now I do have a few exceptions with one being if I loose a plane, ie my Aeronca, I need to replace the void it created. This is one of my favorite Guillows planes of all times, and I have always had one built hanging from my ceiling. As you know I tragically crashed mine a couple of days ago, so now I have to build another. My Comet Taylorcraft is all built ready for tissue, but she will have to wait until this bird is hanging from my ceiling once again. The first kit I bought came with oak, 29lb/ft balsa, ouch.....Com'on Guillows you can do better than that. I was going to send it back to Guillows but I got lucky. While I was at the Hobby Store today were I bought the kit, the owner asked how my build was going. I told him the wood is unusable so I have to send it back. He told me to bring it back in and he would send it back. Better yet, he let me open 2 other Aeronca's he had on the shelf to evaluate the wood. The wood in both of those kits was excellent. The average weight as you will see was around 9-10lb/ft, much better than the 29. The 3/32 sheet is 7-8lb balsa, a little die crushed but not bad at all. IMO this is a successful Guillows kit that will produce an excellent flyer. Still not the 4-6lb balsa, but that is too fragile for a beginner, so 8-10lb is perfect. Since both kits came with excellent wood, I bought them both. Man I am a sucker for Guillows. I sealed up one kit and put it up in the attic and will build this one. Also the Guillows Yahoo Challenge for 2011 might be the 300 series so why not get a head start. I will build this straight from the box using everything that is supplied including the tissue. I will not modify it or lighten it, because it does not need it. I will use a Peck Prop since the prop in the kit is too small. I will use the black nose button and shaft in the kit and use FAI tan rubber. The only other thing I might have to do is flip the peg mount around so the fuselage can fit in my winding stooge. I will paint it to match the Box art. I am going on a cruise at the end of this week, so it will take a little time to finish.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:42 pm

The first thing I do is cut out all the formers and ribs. I do my best to leave the balsa in the notches since the die cut notches are too big. I do not sand the back of the balsa sheet for this reason. I then put the balsa part on the plans and if needed sand to shape. I then mark where the notches should go. Sometime I will put a little glue where the die cut notch is so the piece of wood does not fall out. Once the glue is dried, I use my dremel to make new tight fitting notches that line up with the plans. I then sand the print off the wood and sand the other side and this former is ready to go.
scigs30

Postby Phugoid » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Glad you decided to go for another Aeronca

I would love to finish what I started, but I never can....

Here we have all of my live projects. A veron BF109 awating paint and decals, FROG De Havilland Moth Minor awaiting second paint colour and other work, a Keil Kraft Globe swift awaiting covering and now the Trojan...........

I look forward to seeing this build come together.
Phugoid

Postby scigs30 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Your builds looks great, can't wait to see them in the sky. The other excuse I have for the Taylorcraft is I don't have anymore yellow tissue after the last few builds. So I have to order more when I get back from my trip.
scigs30

Postby jack lee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:14 pm

I so much liked the flying photos of your Aeronca; what a beauty! Even the tragedy photos had a poetry to them. Sad though.
I'm still following your advice to finish one before starting another, but the temptation to work on several at one time is strong.
I have the Skyhawk 172 and Sopwith Camel in their boxes waiting for me. But, I'd like to build an Aeronca after seeing yours. Want to sell the kit in your attic?
Hope you have a good trip!

Took this photo at the Sonoma County Airport...thought you'd enjoy seeing it:

jack lee

Postby scigs30 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Been real busy but my Aeronca is almost ready for covering. I am getting back into RC kits and that is taking some time away from FF. I forgot how fun RC was, of course I only do kits. I have no desire to buy a model built by someone else, that takes away most of the fun.
I started this some time ago and the frames got accidentally broken during some moving of furniture. Instead of opening another kit, I used Midwest Balsa from the LHS. I should start covering in the next day or so, then I would like the build the Guillows Nieuport.
scigs30

Postby H65 Driver » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:49 am

Great stuff as always, Scigs. Do you post photos of your RC builds on any other forums? If so, where?
H65 Driver

Postby scigs30 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 am

I just got back into the hobby and I was lucky. Back in the late 80s, early 90's I started both a Sig Cub and Goldberg Cub. Got most of it done but then discovered women and alcohol, so I stopped building all together. I gave these two monsters to my Uncle. Well a couple of weeks ago he said he still had both kits, the Goldberg is done and hanging at a shop and the Sig Cub still needs some finishing touches. I picked up the Sig Cub and forgot it was covered with fabric and spray painted with those old Pactra Spray dopes in a can, so the paint job is not that great. Still I have been slowly putting it back together. Also I just finished the Great Planes Electricub and now working on the Herr Cub. These are all kits I already had so I want to finish them before buying new ones. In my RC que......Great Planes Slowpoke, Midwest Aero Lectric, old R/N trainer Model, EasyBuilt Beaver, Great Planes .40 Cub, 2 more Sig Cubs 1/6 scale regular and clipped wing. Also have a House of Balsa Pt-19. There are a few more kits I will have to buy soon since I am watching the trend of kits being replaced by RTF planes. So as you can see I am spreading myself between freeflight, Rockets and now RC. Remember, I don't like anything that is built already, RTF and all my builds are with White Glue so it takes a little longer. I tried CA on my Electric Cub and what junk. I spent more times ungluing my fingers and trying to sand my mistakes. I don't know what the plans call for CA on all the construction. In the long run I think it took just as long to build with CA as it did with white Glue. Man I need to retire, 20 more years and counting. Once I start building more, I will post my builds on RC Universe and RC groups.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10271 ... m#10271308
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10285 ... m#10285130
Here is my first RC build since 1990. Never again will I use CA to build an RC plane. Also Monokote is much easier to work with than Tissue.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:38 pm

I finished all the balsa structures, just have to wait for my tissue to arrive.
scigs30

Postby Bean » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:24 pm

You say you re-cut parts from Midwest balsa, did you recur everything? Just didn't see any markings on the wood...

You don't use CA, what do you use? For me CA is just fast...I am pretty new to this and used CA on my first plane, now I'm trying Titebond and it's slow going.

Couple of other questions while I'm here:

You're using Monokote covering, these planes are pretty small - how does this impact weight? I've just ordered some microlite to try it out, I've always tissued Guillows planes.

For RC, do you ever adjust the thrust angle of the prop? I recently finished a Cessna 170 and had to build out the motor mount quite a ways to meet the front of the cowl. I used block balsa...any suggestions or comments here? She doesn't fly all that well and I'm trying to figure if it's me or the plane...I am still new to piloting too :?

What do you use for paint? That's a perfect match to the covering!
Bean

Postby Bean » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:51 pm

Bean wrote:You say you re-cut parts from Midwest balsa, did you recut everything? Just didn't see any markings on the wood...

What's your formula for figuring the wood weight?

You don't use CA, what do you use? For me CA is just fast...I am pretty new to this and used CA on my first plane, now I'm trying Titebond and it's slow going.

You're using Monokote covering, these planes are pretty small - how does this impact weight? I've just ordered some microlite to try it out, I've always tissued Guillows planes. On some of your other builds you use tissue...

For RC, do you ever adjust the thrust angle of the prop? I recently finished a Cessna 170 and had to build out the motor mount quite a ways to meet the front of the cowl. I used block balsa...any suggestions or comments here? She doesn't fly all that well and I'm trying to figure if it's me or the plane...I am still new to piloting too :?

You use Testors Acrylics paints...? Ever use the cheaper generic-ish stuff? That's a perfect match to the covering!
Bean

Postby scigs30 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:59 pm

I copy the parts onto Avery Large removable label paper. Then I stick the copied parts onto the balsa and cut out the parts. I am now doing this with the laser cut kits because I don't like the burn marks showing through the tissue. I could not imagine using CA on a freeflight model, I would mess up the build. I use Titebond White All Purpose glue, dries clear and fast. The only problem is they only sell it in 1 gallon jugs. I like a clean build so I don't use any glue that leave color behind. I only use Monokote on large RC builds, these small planes are covered with tissue.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:47 pm

I have been real busy building RC planes so my freeflight has slowed down. I finally recieved my tissue so I took a couple of hours out of my day and covered the Aeronca. I used Esaki glued on with 50/50 Elmers and water. Shrank the tissue with alcohol and brushed on 2 coats of Aerogloss dope. Now I have to decide how I want to trim it. I was thinking about painting it to match the box art, will have to think about it. After covering with Monokote, I forget how much harder it is to use tissue.
My next Guillows build will be the Guillows Nieuport with quality wood.
Image[/img]
scigs30

Postby Seeker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Beautiful build.

What's the benefit of shrinking the tissue with alcohol rather than water?
Seeker

Postby scigs30 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:01 pm

I build with white glue, so the water would soak into the glue joints and could cause the structures to warp. Alcohol evaporates faster and does not soak into the wood.
scigs30

Next

Return to General Building Questions