Stearman PT-17 in progress

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby Phugoid » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:58 am

Bah luxury!!!!! (said in the style of the Monty Python "Three Yorkshire Men" Sketch).....

One of my first flights was in a Tiger Moth from a grass airfield, the words "cold" and "twitchy" (both me and the A/C) is one way of describing the flying experience........

As a boy I did dream of becoming an RAF pilot, but glasses with lenses like the ends of Coca Cola bottles soon put pay to that. I really wish I could afford the lessons it's so expensive though. $10 Guillows kits are more in my line......

Good luck with getting your licence Jack, I am very envious!
Phugoid

Student Pilot

Postby jack lee » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Cliff and Phugoid,
My student pilot experience has been completely satisfying. We fly the C-172 out of Sonoma County Airport. My teacher Tim, at NorthCoast Air, is kind and very patient, and has a low key humor that keeps me laughing. He's an excellent instructor.
I started last June and put together a budget for 20 hours of flying time. I'm not working toward a license, I just want to have some flying experience. I have four hours left; after that I may take a lesson or two from time to time. It feel's good to share the "log" with both of you former "student pilots."
Building the Piper and now the Stearman has been a great joy together with my flying lessons. I haven't attempted to fly the models yet, so 30 seconds in the air sounds pretty good to me.
Today I'm posting progress photos of the PT-17. It's still a very slow process for me...I like it that way.
jack lee

Previous

Return to General Building Questions