new guy b17 build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

new guy b17 build

Postby bob » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:32 pm

i'm new to the site but i remember as akid building these kits and the parts broke away alot more cleanly then they do now. I want to order b17 kit but alittle reluctant because i don't want to cut and brake pieces and get frustrated any help would be apreciated

:?:
bob

Postby cliffm » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:13 pm

I purchased mine last winter from AC supply and the quality was quite good. As always there were a few disapointing parts, the clear plastic was'nt all it could be ,but Guillows would have replaced them if I'd have been patient enough to go thru the process. AC also has the best prices.
cliffm

Postby scigs30 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Trust me, I have no problem sending back poor wood or plastic parts. Guillows is real good about replacing them.
scigs30

Postby cliffm » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:29 am

Bob, website is www.acsupplyco.com I found that if your order is over $100 you get free shipping. You'll be able to check all the particulars out on the website. I have found their kits to be as fresh as any and better than most, so happy hunting. I came across them while teaching as they have very good discounts for schools and other group rates.
cliffm

Postby cliffm » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:34 am

Bob, website is www.acsupplyco.com I found that if your order is over $100 you get free shipping. You'll be able to check all the particulars out on the website. I have found their kits to be as fresh as any and better than most, so happy hunting. I came across them while teaching as they have very good discounts for schools and other group rates.
cliffm

thanks

Postby bob » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:36 am

sorry i jumped the gun
bob

Postby scigs30 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:30 pm

I am sure in a few years this kit will be laser cut.
scigs30

Postby cliffm » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:44 pm

The kit I probably enjoyed the most so far is the catalina. Would probably get another if it came out laser. I've done the 200 series nieuport and it was an absolute joy with everything fitting so precise and no "surprise" fits from munched formers. I'm building a Ryan-ST for my brother at the moment. I have a P-38 and a B-24 waiting for me after this "other" build. I'm getting so used to the Guillow"s kit's completeness that other manufacturers kits are somewhat disappointing. The covering with this Ryan is not satisfactory for painting options so I'll need to dig into my stash of silkspan. But it's kinda hard to bitch about laser cut kits after going thru your share of die crunch. Later.
cliffm

supplies

Postby bob » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:12 pm

who is a good all around supplier for modeling tools and stuff what do yourecomend on that
bob

Postby cliffm » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:58 am

This question is probably one of the quaries every modeler has pondered at some stage in their quest for mastery in this great hobby. I have instruments ranging from dentist's picks to machinist's calipers. Doctor's hemostats, locking tweezers, hairpins, clips,scalpels,saws and tools from about every walk of life imaginable. I really think there is no one supplier who can satisfy a creative hobbyist's needs,wants and individual preferences. I keep my eyes open in second hand stores,pawn shops,variety shops,pharmacies,and craft and hobby stores. X-Acto is a name that probably graces nearly every hobbyist's bench and they do have a quite nice kit that is imitated by others at a more affordable price. Hope this points you in the right direction. Happy hunting!
cliffm

Postby lukebozek1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:26 am

Check out Penn Valley Hobby Center. Prices are not as good as Acs but their catalog is pretty decent, especially the old Comet Kits. Good people they called me via phone to ask about an item that was not in stock. I can't get the Mercedes dealer to call me. They sell a lot of kits on Ebay, but there are some very interesting models listed here.
lukebozek1

Postby cliffm » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Recently while browsing thru a Pamida store I came across a blade kit similar to an x- acto kit with the big red handles and the slim aluminum ones and there are 14 diferent blades 2 duplicates in a case with magnetic holding strip for 4.99. Yeahhh made in china but it's hard to knock when your on a budget.
cliffm

Return to General Building Questions