Warping While Glue and Water

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Warping While Glue and Water

Postby hurt138 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 am

I have been pinning down the edges of all sections while applying the Glue and Water to the covering. I am still having some issues with warping to my parts. Am I just applying to much at once, or is this common to a small degree?
hurt138

Postby ADW 123 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:53 pm

thats pretty normal as when wood gets wet, it tends to bend and warp a little. including balsa.
ADW 123

Postby hurt138 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:34 pm

other than pinning down the stuff is there anything else I can do?
hurt138

Postby jim » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:08 am

hey could be a tissue grain problem as the tissue tightens it pulls the frame into twist or warp
do you give the frame a coat of dope before covering? i put a coat of 50% thinned dope on it 2 coat's before covering anything
i think it gives a bit more strength to the structure
if you streighten the part that warped dose the tissue wrincle or go slack if it dose i would guess the grain direction if the tissue is a little off
if the warp's are slight u can use steam to try and unwarp the part using a boiling kettle expose the part to steam carefully avoiding a burn injury for 10 second's and bend the part more than needed to correct the problem as it cools it will hopefully correct it's self. hope something here helps
im certanly no expert
jim
jim

Postby hurt138 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:21 pm

jim wrote:hey could be a tissue grain problem as the tissue tightens it pulls the frame into twist or warp
do you give the frame a coat of dope before covering? i put a coat of 50% thinned dope on it 2 coat's before covering anything
i think it gives a bit more strength to the structure

I am using a 50/50 mix of white glue and water. I do give the parts a coating of that before covering it. But maybe I will try giving it a few extra and see if it helps some.

jim wrote:if you streighten the part that warped dose the tissue wrincle or go slack if it dose i would guess the grain direction if the tissue is a little off
if the warp's are slight u can use steam to try and unwarp the part using a boiling kettle expose the part to steam carefully avoiding a burn injury for 10 second's and bend the part more than needed to correct the problem as it cools it will hopefully correct it's self. hope something here helps
im certanly no expert
jim

It almost looks like the paper is going on to tight to begin with. I have not dont a water spray on it and the paper has no play in it when you push on it.

Anyone think I should cut down the water on the mix some? It could be that I am shrinking it to much with water. Its just cheap white glue so it could have a higher water content to begin with?
hurt138

Return to General Building Questions