Fuse formers. Shaping between stringers??????

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Fuse formers. Shaping between stringers??????

Postby buglecall » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:45 am

I am a newbie and just about to complete my first build,focker from the ww1 laser cut series,so now i am spolit for quality :D

On this build the formers were no all completly flat/even to the stringers,next time i will try harder to avoid this BUT i have just seen a post where the builder sanded the former concavely between the stringers which did look very neat/tidy.Is this a common practice.I do not know if the convering should really be attached to the formers to give a correct look.

Also how do you sand a fuse once complete? if you go down the stringers you bust the formers.
buglecall

Postby buglecall » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:07 am

After my post above i spent some(a lot) looking at old posts for info/advice,being a newbie.
And i see a post where the guy says he leaves his stringers slightly proud of the formers,even after sanding.He also says thats why they are called "formers" and should not be seen,just the stringers.
So on my build i have spent time getting the stringers flush and attaching tissue to stringers AND formers,Is this wrong?
buglecall

Shaping formers

Postby lukebozek1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:54 am

I saw where someone used a small brush handle with sandpaper wrapped around it to sand in between the stringers leaving the former slightly below the stringer shape. It does make for a cleaner tissue covering. Good Luck!
lukebozek1

Postby hurt138 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:22 am

I actually tried last night to use some wood with sandpaper on it to sand out the sections, but it gave me less than perfect results. At this point I will just have to fill in some sections to smooth out the body of it. I cut the ribs on the wings after it was half done and cutting right down into them carefully gave perfect cuts. This would be hard to do on the body since its not flat, but something to play with.
hurt138

One other idea

Postby lukebozek1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:37 am

I have a dremel with some cone shaped bits, maybe with a steady hand? I am trying that on my next build, either the Spit or the Typhoon.
lukebozek1

Postby ADW 123 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:39 am

keep in mind that if you sand the formers down with the paintbrush/sandpaper you get rid of the curve of the fuse, and it will make the fuselage not as round and nice and the newer planes are.
ADW 123

Postby buglecall » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:18 pm

So is the former shape part of the covering process? Do you attach tissue to that edge as well as the stringers?
buglecall

Postby John G Jedinak » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Glue should be applied only to those edges needed to secure the tissue... so glue is applied to the affected stringers AND formers.....LUCK
John G Jedinak

Postby Phugoid » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:23 pm

I sometimes do this, more because i find it quite theraputic then any technical reason, other than the fact it tends to make the fusalge more streamlined looking, and does save a reasonable amount of weight (probably about 1g on a 500 series).

I use a multitude of different objects to wrap my sandpaper around dependant on the gap between the formers. I'd guess that the diameter is around 60 to 100% of the distance between the stringers ie making the depth 30 to 50% of the "gap". Wine bottle corks, pencils etc are good ones to use. I never use dremel type instruments, I can't see the reason since the balsa (yes even guillows balsa!) is so easily sanded by hand.

Just remember that you need to leave the formers "as is" where joins or tissue strips end, you definitely need to plan ahead!

Andrew
Phugoid

Return to General Building Questions