400 SERIES. Best of the bunch????

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

400 SERIES. Best of the bunch????

Postby buglecall » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:26 pm

I am almost near to completing my first kit,the focker in the WW1 series and being laser cut that was a beauty of a kit.
I would like to go with a kit from the 400 series and wondered if out the lot there is a "best" kit,in terms of fit and build.
I presume being die cut it is hit and miss on the quality of wood OR does a kit here come out on top in that regard.Would like to here anyones views.
Not bothered about the flying abilities,just in it for the build and its my 2nd build at that.
buglecall

Postby BillParker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:28 pm

P-40 man... P-40

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby buglecall » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:27 am

Is that just your prefered model or have you found it to be the best fit/quality/build wise?
I have had no exeperiance with this series,i have seen a couple of comments on the Spitfire being poorly die stamped
buglecall

400 Series

Postby lukebozek1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:47 am

I have, over the years, built every model in this series. They are big, strong, heavy and basic contsruction is identical. I like the Mustang, probably my favorite, and in second place is the Spitfire. Both are built in the same manner, but if you read these threads you'll note that there is a wide range of balsa in these boxes. I do remember having problems with the fuselage formers on the Spitfire needing some major reconstruction. These are good kits, all of them, capable of being detailed to an extreme, and all in the same scale. They all look good hanging together.
lukebozek1

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:42 am

They are all good kits, subject to the variability of the wood available the day they were produced. If you want scale fidelity, the Bf-109 is the worst. The box art shows an Emil but the model is a Dora, with some noticeable deviations from the true shape. The Fw-190, on the other hand, has been referred to in scale model magazines as, "the finest representation of the type available in a flying model kit." The P-40 seems to be true to scale and from what other modelers have told me (I have never built this particular kit.) is the easiest one to get to fly.

Hope this helps.
kittyfritters

Return to General Building Questions