Covering Query

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Covering Query

Postby cliffm » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:31 am

My oldest balsa model is about a 1 1/2yrs. old using the white glue method. I am curious as to the longevity one can expect from this technique. Going along with the white glue procedure I also use the water soluble acrylics. When I started this hobby a little time was spent researching various procedures, glues,coverings,paints,etc. Scale building and not flying is my main endeavor. Having been involved with restoration and repair of fabric covered planes you become aware of how unfriendly these materials are to the environment. Anyways, how old are some of the viewers models that have used the white glue method and how well are they holding up. Thanks for your info.
cliffm

Postby John G Jedinak » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:39 am

I have got display (not flying) models that are YEARS old with white glue with no notice of problems. Past expecirence with enamel is that the tissue gets extemely brittel over time.
John G Jedinak

Sun Room

Postby lukebozek1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:04 am

I had several Guillows kits hanging from the rafters in a Sun Room I had once, The only significant issues I had were the control surfaces on the rudder and elevator warping. I got pretty hot out there. My son has the Guillows ME and that must be twenty years old with no appreciable damage at all.
lukebozek1

Return to General Building Questions