Using CA. Advice pls.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Using CA. Advice pls.

Postby buglecall » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:32 am

When using CA is it the practice to hold the part/parts in place then add CA to the area so it wicks along OR do you need to add the CA to the flat area THEN place the part.
I intended to use thin CA .I have come from plastic kits and wick /capilary method is what i use BUT wood is new to me.
buglecall

Re: Using CA. Advice pls.

Postby SteveM » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:27 am

buglecall wrote:When using CA is it the practice to hold the part/parts in place then add CA to the area so it wicks along OR do you need to add the CA to the flat area THEN place the part.
I intended to use thin CA .I have come from plastic kits and wick /capilary method is what i use BUT wood is new to me.

When using thin CA you want the pieces in position then let the glue wick into the joint. Since the thin CA and easily flow out of the bottle way faster than you want it is helpful to have a supply of tips on hand that fit over the glue bottle tip and narrow down to a tiny tube, but you probably knew that.

With the medium and thick CA you've got more time and less wicking action so you can apply the glue then put the parts together.
SteveM

Return to General Building Questions