Fuselage Form Notches

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:00 am

Most of the time, I also use the "Cleveland notcher" that David Duckett suggested. It works very well. (When you have built enough Guillow's kits to think you are good at building these models, order a set of plans from Cleveland and try building one of their designs. It's humbling.)

For the more brittle wood I use a trick that Orv Olm came up with. If you have a Dremel tool you will find that the fiberglass cutoff wheels are 1/32" thick. Pariing two of them on the mandrel allows you to easily cut 1/16" inch notches in the most brittle, tough Guillow's balsa.

To keep from going too deep cut a couple of balsa or 1/16" plywood disks approximately the same size as the cutoff wheels. Put them on the mandrel of the tool and using a sanding block, with the tool running, turn them down until they are 1/8" smaller in diameter than the cutoff wheels. Assemble the cutoff wheel on the mandrel with one of the wooden disks on each side of the cutoff wheel stack and you have a built in, 1/16" depth stop.

Your hands still have to be steady enough to avoid sideways motion while cutting the notches, but it works extremely well with tough wood, and especially well on formers that have been broken and repaired with C/A.
kittyfritters

Postby BillParker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:15 am

Notches? We don't need no steeeeeenkin' notches...

Fort Bend County Choppers?

These are what we use:

:twisted:

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby buglecall » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:50 am

You can not just post a picture and no info!
What about us newbie`s,that looks a series tool and if makes things easier i want one :D
buglecall

Previous

Return to General Building Questions