Balancing a 500 series P-40 Warhawk

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Balancing a 500 series P-40 Warhawk

Postby jimbothehotdog » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:01 pm

I am looking for suggestions on balancing my P-40. I was going to use a piece of clay from another kit to balance it. But seems in my excitement to build it, I forgot about adding the clay. :oops: Now the model is built and painted. I need to add weight to the nose but want to do it in a way that would hide the weight as much as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
jimbothehotdog

Postby Phugoid » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Easy. Balance the model with the clay stuck on the outside. Weigh this clay then buy some fishing shot, weigh out the same amount less a little bit to account for the glue) and roll them in some epoxy and pop them through the hole where the prop bush goes, then stand the model almost on its nose such that it gathers in the bottom "corner" of the nose moudling. I do this but with some bits of scrap roofing lead cut up into little chunks, which you could also use, but I thought it might be easier to get the shot......

Best to err on the side of caution and keep trying as it is easy to pop another piece in after flight trials, more difficult to get it out!

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby jimbothehotdog » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Brilliant! So simple... why didn't I think of that?

Thanks!! 8)
jimbothehotdog

Return to General Building Questions