Rubber?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Rubber?

Postby Sgt.Squirrel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:30 pm

I am going to replace the rubber in the guillows Javelin kit.

Should I use the rear peg hole or the forward peg hole?

The plan says 30 inches of rubber for the forward and 40 for rear, should I make a double loop or single strand?
What size rubber should i use? 3/16 3/32 etc.

the stock rubber was 30 inches and 3/16, one loop.

The plane weighs 28 grams with a six in prop.
Sgt.Squirrel

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Built straight, this model is a good flier. Use the forward peg, the model will be easier to balance and trim.

Weigh it again and be honest. If you are correct about the weight, this model should fly well on four strands of 1/8" flat, FAI, tan, sport rubber with the loop about 1-1/2 times the hook to peg length. Well lubricated, and stretch wound, this motor should be able to handle 69 turns per inch. (I use STP silicone spray that you can get at any auto parts store. ArmorAll works well also. The old glycerin/green soap mixture is messy.) If it flies OK but won't climb, try an 8 inch prop and a six strand motor. The six strand motor will only handle 59 turns per inch.

If it is heavier, use an 8 inch prop and four strands of 3/16 rubber. (F.A.I., tan, sport, not the stuff that came in the kit!) That motor will take 56 turns per inch, but the added power will turn the larger prop and make up for the shorter motor run.

Rubber motors don't last forever so check the motor for fraying and cuts after every flight. Also be sure to balance the propeller. It makes the motor run smoother which gets the maximum power out of the motor.

Good Luck!
kittyfritters

Postby Sgt.Squirrel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:10 pm

I think I'm going to use the rear motor peg because you can pack more rubber in it for longer flights and less turns.

Yes it is 28 grams, i just recently pruchased 3/16 rubber and planning to use four strands of 1.2 hook to peg length, I have a small bottle of silicone oil that I hope I can use ( its not spray can and it cam to lubricate the treadmill rollers) its similar to other silicon lubes, i just but a 5 to 1 peck winder to stretch wind. I found no larger prop in stock so ill have to deal with the guillows prop 6 inch.

I knew that the kit rubber was horrible, i wound it 200 turns ( 2/3 of max) and it flew a couple feet for a 2 second flight.

I don't know if the current rubber motor length is too much, its going to be cut at 85 inches for a 21 inch double looped motor. I tried to keep the length a little shorter because their is a large pond next the field in the local park, I wouldn't want to lose it in the water.

(the grammer and spelling mistakes are cause by make lack of sleep and acute nocturnalism:)
Sgt.Squirrel

Postby Sgt.Squirrel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Sorry i forgot to mention I'm using tailspin aviation tan super sport

the rear motor peg to hook is 17 inches too
:oops:
Sgt.Squirrel

Return to General Building Questions