First post. Pics of first attempt.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

First post. Pics of first attempt.

Postby johnwohl » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:59 am

Here are some pics of my first ever attempt at a Guillows model.

No pics of the build on that one. Didn't think about it. This is one of my attempts at covering the wing. I re-covered a few times.

About mid way covering, looking awful.

A couple of completed pics.

I started a new model already. I'll post that one later on.
johnwohl

Postby Phugoid » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:08 am

Hi,

Don't do yourself down, it's better than my first attempt that's for sure!

I think you just might need to make the tissue a bit tighter when you first apply it so that when you water shrink it, it has less work to do.

I've never got on with the Guillows tissue too well, it does not shrink a massive amount and I tend to get slack bits as a result. I use Esaki Tissue which you can get from a number of model suppliers, it shrinks a lot more which can be a problem of light and thin structures, but given the "belt and braces" of guillows kits in terms of the amount of balsa and the general stiffness of it -that won't be a problem. It is also stronger when it is wet which is especially useful if you use the white glue method of attaching it to frames (as opposed to the dope and thinners method)

If you are relatively new to the forum then Scigs30 builds are a master class in putting on tissue, he's done it several ways in different builds it's all a matter of finding a method you can get on with.

Cheers

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby cliffm » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:07 am

After about my 3rd build my results came out a little more predictable. I still find myself putting the grain of the fabric the wrong way,sometimes it's not too noticeable,but it usually ends up without enough shrinkage to make up for my mistake. I build for scale so the control surfaces get to really be a pain to get wrinkle free. I use the white glue method, for safety and the lack of odors in the house. Also it's way cheaper. What kind of finish do you have on the one in the photos? The silver looks good.
cliffm

Postby johnwohl » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:43 pm

I started a p-40 warhawk which I am doing MUCH better with, and I'll post pics in a bit. the section under the wing is getting shrunk/drying.

I've never got on with the Guillows tissue too well, it does not shrink a massive amount and I tend to get slack bits as a result.

The stock tissue does suck. Don't even look at it when it's wet, lest you anger it.

I did find that one of my problems was putting the grain the wrong way on the wings. Putting the grain the right way really helps with the sagging.

I use Esaki Tissue which you can get from a number of model suppliers,

This is sad but I'm a thrifty guy to the point that $6.00 shipping for say 3 sheets of tissue just skeeves me out. Soooo I haven't gotten any decent tissue yet.

I've yet to try domestic tissue as well. I don't know how to tell bleeding from non bleeding and my hobby store only sells it in packages.

What kind of finish do you have on the one in the photos? The silver looks good.

Thanks! It's just krylon Aluminium color spray paint. I guess the only thing I do different is let the bottle sit in warm water for a while before I shake it.
johnwohl

Postby scigs30 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:10 pm

Johnwohl, Don't be too hard on yourself, covering takes many years to figure out. I have used Guillows tissue many times with great results, that is what I learned on. I have also used Peck Tissue, Easybuilt Tissue and Esaki tissue. Guillows/domestic tissue has no wet strength and for the most part needs to be put on dried and in sections. I use Elmers 50/50 water to attach the tissue but I do not recommend this. Most people use UHU glue sticks with great results since it is not wet. I have been building over 25 years and still find my self having to recover a section or two if the tissue does not lay down right. The best advise I can give you is read these forums and complete each model you start. You will never improve on covering if you build the bones and move onto the next build.
scigs30

Postby Phugoid » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi,

Your comment re angering the stock tissue made me laugh! Tks for that!

I don't blame you being for thrifty it's expesive especially when you compare to the cost of the kit.

I tear the corner to get the grain direction, if it tears straight you're in line, if it is jagged then it's across. The stock tissue doesn't have much of a grain so I find it can be dificult to tell.

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby John G Jedinak » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:45 pm

It is my understanding that tissue grain generally runs the length (long way) of the tissue.
John G Jedinak

Doesn't look that bad to me

Postby lukebozek1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:19 pm

It isn't Guillows tissue is it? Kind of shiny. Next build try doing it in the Guillows sequence shown is the plans. It covers small pieces, but take your time and you will see better results. Also, repairs cover smaller areas and go quicker if needed. Hang in there.
lukebozek1

Postby cliffm » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:21 am

I have found very good results using the white glue method with silkspan. Guillow's must use silkspan in it's larger kits? Just for an experiment covering the tops of my Hellcat I ran the grain on the tops of the wing opposite of each other and you can't tell the difference. After the 2nd coat of 50/50 both look great.
cliffm

Return to General Building Questions