Canopy Frame Masking

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Canopy Frame Masking

Postby lukebozek1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:19 am

Typically, I use an artist's adhesive tape (very light) to mask the entire surface of the canopy and use X-Acto knives to trim out the frame areas for painting. This works great for an airbrush, but not so hot with a brush. I have seen a type of mask that is painted on (?) with the building techniques. Can someone explain this to me? I am working on a ME-109 that will be a challenge. :?:
lukebozek1

Postby Arkitekt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 am

I think the product you are asking about is called MicroMask and it is by MicroScale Industries.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/mer ... ct_Count=2

pretty much you paint it on, cut out the areas to be painted and use a solvent based paint as the mask is water soluble. It is great for masking complex areas from what I hear.
Arkitekt

Thanks!

Postby lukebozek1 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:21 am

I will give it a try. I need to get into the 20th century.
lukebozek1

One question

Postby lukebozek1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:58 am

Not the sharpest tack on the wall, would I be able to use Acrylics? I know I can clean brushes with soap and water, does that constitute a "water based paint?" I am working on a real beauty right now and the shape will not be masked easily. I am also thinking about this 1/64 inch black tape I have instaed of painting the frame. Haven'ttried it yet, but thinking about it. I hate to screw up a nice plane.
lukebozek1

Postby cliffm » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:57 am

The sharpest tack isn't always the one that sticks. After trying most of these alternatives my best results have been with a brush that fits the task at hand and an artist's sponge to sharpen the edges. you have to be quick at it but if you get it right away it does'nt effect the unmasked surface. Yes, sometimes you have to go back and retouch but it is far easier than fixing a large blemish caused by masking.
cliffm

Return to General Building Questions