Homemade rubber winder?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Homemade rubber winder?

Postby Sgt.Squirrel » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:34 pm

anyone know how to make a home made hand crank winder?

How do you wind up the rubber motor, exactly :?:

:P
Sgt.Squirrel

Postby Arkitekt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:16 am

Take a look at this thread over at SFA
The Parsimonious Modeler

and this thread over at Hip Pocket Winders, winding stooge, torque meters, winding methods

should get you pointed in the right direction for a home- made winder. Good Luck
Arkitekt

Manual cranked drill?

Postby lukebozek1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:40 pm

I always wondered if I could just use the old fashioned hand drill, the one with the crank on the side, and just make a bit that hooked through the loop on the end of my wire. Seemed simple, I wonder if it would work? it is probably too simple and doomed for failure.
lukebozek1

Re: Manual cranked drill?

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 pm

lukebozek1 wrote:I always wondered if I could just use the old fashioned hand drill, the one with the crank on the side, and just make a bit that hooked through the loop on the end of my wire. Seemed simple, I wonder if it would work? it is probably too simple and doomed for failure.

Not at all. We used to make winders out of old fashioned hand drills all the time when I was a kid, Just make sure that the hook bit is not just held by the chuck. It must have some solid safety backup so that if the chuck comes loose the hook cannot pull out. Either drill a hole in the drill shaft behind the chuck and make an extension of the hook that goes through the hole or wind an extension of the hook behind the chuck to make a solid loop that is smaller than the chuck. If you don't have some backup method of retaining the hook and it pulls out of the chuck, believe me, you will feel it.
kittyfritters

Important Safety Tip

Postby lukebozek1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:00 am

That is something I did not think of. The thought of a steel projectile tearing through a month's work is sad. I did build a few fliers many years ago, and I think I will try it again.
lukebozek1

Return to General Building Questions