KP01 Electric Power

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

KP01 Electric Power

Postby Phugoid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:20 am

Hi,

Has anyone tried to use the KP01 electric motor and battery combination in a guillows kit?

I bought a cheap (£11) Piper Cherokee 140 kit on ebay as a testbed for the idea of using electric power and the instructions recommends the KP01 (amongst others) as a good one to use....

There's a lot of wood in this design, (and it's heavy/strong too) so I reckon it will be a good one for electric flight as it will be good and robust. I cannot see how it would ever fly on rubber from the kit - a 5" prop on a 20" span model?????

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:17 am

The electric flying instructions are dated. There are newer, lighter, more powerful, motor and battery combinations available. Check with a good flying hobby shop, (If you can find one any more.) read the electric flying magazines, and join e-group. Most of these sources are R/C oriented but you can get information on electric free flight if you dig. (Hint: For fee flight an combination ESC/timer in the circuit is nice.)

The first thing most people do when they want to fly a Guillow's kit on rubber power is change the prop. A six inch prop will work better on the
Cherokee if you don't need ROG. Whatever prop you choose, balance it (With the spinner on if you fly with one.) It's amazing what a smooth motor run does for a rubber powered model.
kittyfritters

Postby Phugoid » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:02 pm

yep I'm aware of the prop issue, the one supplied is nothing more than a joke.............. especially with the weight of wood involved.

For the £11 I paid the prop won't go to waste they are actuaqlly quite nice props for peanuts or dimes and not even too bad for 500 series models

I know there's other systems but I wondered what experience people have had with the KP01, since it is the one in the leaflet and is still available.

Andrew
Phugoid

Return to General Building Questions