Indoor Flying

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Indoor Flying

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:03 pm

On the Fourth of July, the Blacksheep Squadron was invited to use a sound stage at CBS in Studio City for indoor flying. Well actually we were considered part of the entertainment for the studio party, but it worked out well. The best flying model that I had was the 600 series Piper Cub that I built for the "G" Challenge a while back. After the first trimming flight I got enough turn into it that I had no trouble flying it in the sound stage.

It was very satisfying until one of the studio crew came by, saw us set up in there and decided to do us a favor by turning on the air conditioning for us. All of a sudden many of the models developed peculiar flying characteristics. Even the guys flying R/C electrics were having trouble. I wound the Piper and launched it towards the South wall, away from the guest seating area. It turned right as expected, but when it got near the West wall it mysteriously straightened out and flew along the wall until it got over the guest area then turned, missing the North wall and flying back toward the open main door of the stage. It turned before going outside and proceeded along the East wall, almost returning to the flight area, but flying through the open door of the production office and hit something in the office with a resounding crash. Amazingly, it was recovered undamaged.

About that time we realized that the A/C was on and found someone to turn it off. Anyway, a good time was had by all.
kittyfritters

Return to General Building Questions