Question Regarding Dope

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Question Regarding Dope

Postby jmpugsley » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:17 am

Why do folks still use dope for their planes when you are not going to use a gas engine? I thought the main reason for using dope is because it is fuelproof. Why suffer the fumes if there is no chance of getting fuel on the model?
jmpugsley

Postby BillParker » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:04 am

I use SIG Clear Coat Butyrate Dope.... Because it works... Houston Humidity makes 50/50 elmers glue a difficult process. It just never dries...
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby SteveM » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:58 am

Same reason you'll see some men buy and restore a classic car from the era of their youth, fond memories.
SteveM

Nitrate Dope

Postby NiteSeer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:41 pm

I keep going back to the question "Why use Dope" Well, I do a lot of woodworking and one of the most important steps in making a piece of furniture is to apply some kind of preservative to the wood. The reason we do this is to protect the wood from the outside elements and to bring out the richness in the wood.

As far as balsa is concerned, I think it is very important to preserve the integrity of the wood by using Nitrate dope. Applying dope will keep moisture out which means your tail feathers and the wing will be less prone to warp. Not only that, it will help adhere the tissue to the wood when you are applying it with your favorite method. Finally, you will have a model that will be around for a long time. :D
NiteSeer

Postby scigs30 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Nostalgia and I like the smell.
scigs30

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:47 pm

My wife is allergic to both butyrate and nitrate dope. If I use it on a model it has to be out doors and it will have to age in the garage for a month before I can bring it into the house. Since returning to model building I have been using Uhu glue stick to stick my tissue (both wet and dry methods) and Krylon fixative (#1303) to fix and seal the pores.

Until a month ago I still used nitrate dope, diluted 50/50, and mixed with talcum powder to seal my frames before covering. I have discovered that Flecto Diamond Finish, Clear(water based), diluted 50/50 with water, does an acceptable if not marvelous job as a sanding sealer for balsa.

I have been airbrushing for some time using acrylic paints, but have switched to opaque airbrush inks, since they are lighter, cover just as well, and are less expensive than the modelers acrylics.

So, I have eliminated the use of dope on my models. Besides, did you know that the original purpose of nitrate dope was coffin varnish?;)
kittyfritters

Airplane Dope

Postby NiteSeer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:25 am

Interesting! Yea, I have to dope outside and I mix my dope 50% Nitrate and 50% thinner and I wear a mask. I tried a glue stick but my tissue would not stick proplerly so I went back to white glue. Thanks for your comments. They are instructive.
NiteSeer

Return to General Building Questions