Electric Motor Newbie

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Electric Motor Newbie

Postby jmpugsley » Sun May 30, 2010 1:22 pm

I want to free flight some of my builds, and was told that everyone is using electric motors now in planes instead of fuel based engines. Can anybody give me pointers or help with how the electric motors are attached, how they work with planes, and any pointers on using them with free flights? Are the batteries in the plane too? How do you get it to fly just a few minutes? How much torque is created on the body compared to, say, a Cox .049? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :)
jmpugsley

Postby Xanadu » Sun May 30, 2010 9:56 pm

Here you go, all the info you could need and more. Just need to read thru them a bit.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861
Xanadu

Postby jmpugsley » Mon May 31, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks so much Xanadu. That is quite a mass of information you pointed me to. I will take some time to digest it. At first glance, it looks like, if you are converting to electric, you do not have to woory nearly as much about weight. From the looks of a lot of the pictures, the builds and finishes are much beefier. Another plus is that you do not have to woory about your finish being fuel proof, which gives you a much broader selection for finishes. Thanks again. If I get one finished and flying, I will post some pictures.
jmpugsley

Return to General Building Questions