500 Series Stuka Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby scigs30 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:03 pm

Finished the Stuka today and can't wait to fly her. The glide has not been to great, still trying to mess with it. Weight as shown is 27 grams, with clay 32 grams. Below are pictures of the products I used to finish this bird. The primer is a light primer, and only the plastic parts get primed. The yellow tape is Tamyia tape and it works great. It is what I use to mask the canopy and make the camouflage. I used the decals in the kit so I had to spray Testors Glossycote where the decals go. Then I brushed on decal solution, placed the decal and snugged it down with the red decal solution. The next day and sprayed the decals and glossy area with Testors dullcote. This kit was not hard to build since Guillows used good wood that was not crunched.
scigs30

Postby cmccrackan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 pm

how did she fly? im building the same exact one, so im getting a lot of good info! :lol: :lol: :lol:
cmccrackan

Postby scigs30 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:03 pm

She did not fly too well. I am still trying to get her to fly, longest being about 10 seconds. I think the 400 series Stuka would fly pretty good.
scigs30

Postby The Flying Panda » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Hey your stuka is amazing!!
I am still working on mine i just got the frame finished, The dope that you use, is it 50/50 white glue and water? or somethin else i was thinking of switching white glue frome elmers to some other no name cheap brand cause thats what i got i will defenantly be testing it before hand. the process that u use considering the mister, i use a brush and end up with paper stickn where i dont want it will the dope solution that i use as i mentioned work in a mister? and does every one use the masking technique on their canopies cause i have difficulty with the paint chippn off of plastic. that could be because i brushed it on instead of spray what do u think?\
Thanks for your time and nice job,
The Flyn Panda
FORTRESS CONFIGURATIONS (C)
The Flying Panda

Re: 500 Series Stuka Build

Postby BillParker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:22 pm

see what?
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby BillParker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Oh. sorry... It's dated back in 2010 so I thought you were pointing out something less obvious. It is typical scigs fair tho... a beauty!
BillParker

Postby Charles_c » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Looks real good. I didn't build mine to fly, so I used solid balsa for the pants, and added a three bladed prop.

The board won't let me post mine.... "board attachment quota has been reached"

Charles
Real Airplanes Have Round Engines and Two Wings !
Charles_c

Postby flying yankee » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:02 am

great photos and info
:D
flying yankee

Postby Mitch » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:50 pm

That model looks fantastic! I think a 10 second flight for a painted and model finished the way yours is, is very respectable.

Mitch

PS: Looks like you used the kit prop. I am curious to what type of rubber, how many strands, how long, how many winds?
Mitch

Postby BillParker » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Flying 508 Stuka kits. Note: NONE on rubber power....

Not saying it can't be done, but there are easier to fly on rubber kits than the Stuka...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgpHoTITJ7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8SaFp0JE48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdCdwgk8PvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbSuqM_v0pg

bp
BillParker

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Looks great Scigs!
Hey Bill Parker, that third link you posted is mine! I would think this should be a great little rubber flyer, as it flies well as an rc conversion at around 60 grams, if I remember correctly. It was actually one of the best flying, stable micros I've ever done. The only hindrance to rubber power that I could see, is that even after reducing the battery weight a bit, it was still slightly nose heavy when the power was cut, but the slight nose heavy condition probably added to the stability. Kinda tough to get the same power from rubber as from electric though, where you just crack the elevator up a bit with an electric motor. A lot of these little planes will spin in, if you roll them too much without a lot of speed. This one seemed incredibly stable, with no spin tendency. Now if I ever fly the bigger Guillows Stuka?
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:31 pm

Scigs you do amazing work. I am impressed. And the fact that they fly as well is even more praiseworthy.
davidchoate

Postby scigs30 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:14 am

To date I still cannot get a good flight from this bird, oh well looks great hanging from the ceiling. I bought an old Comet Stuka Kit off ebay....with basswood parts that I am going to build but using balsa should be a better flyer.
scigs30

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Yeah, I thought it was a bit heavy, for rubber. But it does look nice. I looked around all the local stores and cant find that floral paint. Where did you get it?
davidchoate

Postby kartman24 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Hi sorry to drag up an old thread like this but i have just started to put one of these little Stuka`s together, still undecided about rubber or micro R/C (bit late to be still making a choice i know!) I have a question on the fuz build as i have not done much building since i was a nipper, do the stringers at the rear end get a nick on the inside where they go over the last former to help them bend to make them meet the keel or are they wetted or steamed and bent? I am sure i will have a few more questions before it gets finished, i will post some pictures when i get a bit further along...........Martin
kartman24

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions