Guillows B-17G Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows B-17G Build

Postby scigs30 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:53 am

I have been slowly working on this kit while building my freeflight models. This will be a long slow build, but I want to build this kit before my Guillows B-29. The wood quality is excellent and the die cut parts are as good as laser parts. I wish the smaller freeflight kits came with the same quality wood. The pieces fit together perfect and the directions are great. So far a fairly easy build, but I know it will get harder. I am building as a display model and building per the plans with no modifications.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:55 am

I tried to keep the straight stringers straight, but the plans call for wavy stringers in some areas.
scigs30

Postby Xanadu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:14 am

Coming along excellent!
Xanadu

Postby cliffm » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 am

The only kibbitz I had with my B-17 was the quality of the "clear plastic" for the nose and mid-section gun ports. Other than that the wood was excellent and as you say had the quality of a laser cut kit. This kit is truly a joy to build,every thing fits so nicely I was waiting for that inevitable glitch but it did not occur. I did leave out a lot of the wood it calls for in the engine mountings as it wasn't necessary for display. I constructed mine with the optional Cheyene gun position and did some extra work on the nose;hollowed out first former, installed guns with belts and cans,and carved a semblance to a bomb sight. This ship "is" a modelers dream come true. Currently the large scale Stuka is on my table and it too is proving to be a pleasure to build.
cliffm

Return to General Building Questions