The glue to plans query...

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

The glue to plans query...

Postby panting007 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:23 am

Hey guys,

I'm new here today. I have noticed that there are several comments about assemblies sticking to the instruction sheet. Here's the method that I use. I take a bar of soap, any kind will do, and rub it on the plans where glue will be applied. The glue doesn't stick to the soap, and it smeels fresh and clean like an irish spring. (Note: The preceding is not a product endorsement, notice the lack of capitalization. :D ). If they are available, I find that the small, flat "hotel" bars work the best as you can be a bit more precise. Just go to a hotel and ask the desk clerk if you can get a few. Explain what you need them for. They will have no idea what you are saying to them and will give them to you just to make you leave.
panting007

Postby dbcisco » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:39 pm

I cover them with a sheet of wax paper (sometimes a pane of glass). Everything held down by magnets on a metal sheet. No pins, no mess, and pristine plans to make another plane with.
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

Wax Paper Rules!

Postby lukebozek1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:23 am

I still have a roll that must be twenty years old. it was the very large economy size. getting down there since I change it after every frame or any time I flip the building sheet over. Still sticks to teh CA, but use a piece of scrap to "gently" lift the piece from the wax paper. I also see that people use a Saran wrap?
lukebozek1

Postby dbcisco » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:27 am

I usually slide a razor blade inbetween the balsa and wax paper and lift and wiggle slightly to seperate.
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

Postby Arkitekt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:20 am

I've read about a few people using parchment paper, apparently the CA doesn't stick at all?
Arkitekt

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:13 pm

Hey Guys! Saran Wrap. When loose it stick to everything, but when thumbtacked down to the building board, over the plans, virtually nothing sticks to it including C/A. I switched from waxed paper earlier this year and would not go back. Try it!
kittyfritters

Postby Phugoid » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:41 pm

I use drawing film, when my company went over to CAD 15 years ago we had loads of it left over in a drawer. I nabbed the lot when we had a clear out. You can re-use it lots of times you just need to sand off the dimples left by the pins to make sure the parts sit flat next time. Wood glue does not stick to it.

I Reckon there must be tons of this stuff laying around drawing office supply stores, it used to be very expensive as it is very durable (we have drawings dating back to the 50's done on this stuff!), but the advent iof CAD would have made it obsolete overnight, so I imagine it would be cheap to buy now.....

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby jim » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:03 am

i use a candle rubbing over the plan a slight pinch releases any parts works well with cement or pva
jim

glue to plans

Postby vloustalot » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:23 am

I found that I could lay a strip of dollar store "scotch" tape along the plans where glue joints occur and the glue (even ca) comes right off. If it does stick, just peel the plan back on itself and the frame comes free.
Vince
My planes don't crash; they just land hard
vloustalot

Postby Xanadu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Yeah, I just use good old wax paper. Cheap, easy to get, and it works.
Xanadu

Return to General Building Questions