Airbrush Help

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Airbrush Help

Postby jimbothehotdog » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:26 am

Good day everyone! 8) I am considering air brushing my models (as well as some of my other projects) and since I have not used or owned an airbrush/compressor in at least 25 years and am probably out of the loop. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some equipment, paints, etc.:?:

Thank you,
Dave
jimbothehotdog

Postby scigs30 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:40 am

Best advise, research the plastic model builders forums. I use Badger and Iwata with great results. I like the gravity cup for acrylics. Also a 5 gallon compressor from Home Depot with in-line moisture trap.
scigs30

Postby BillParker » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:10 pm

pressure regulator?

running what psi?

I want to shoot butyrate...
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Finally got my equipment...

Postby jimbothehotdog » Sat May 01, 2010 8:01 pm

I now have an airbrush and got my compressor today... now the next question?
Can you guys recommend some paints? My current project is covered in two coats of clear dope... would acrylics work over that?

Thanks,
JTHD
jimbothehotdog

Oh yeah...

Postby jimbothehotdog » Sat May 01, 2010 8:54 pm

...anyone know about spraying Aerogloss with an airbrush?
jimbothehotdog

Postby latitude » Sun May 02, 2010 2:58 am

JTHD, I just got an airbrush recently and had great sucess spraying Tamiya acrylic over 2 coats of thinnned clear dope on my Guillows Ruff (Zero). I was using a Paasche dbl action, siphon fed at 20 psi. I thinned the acrylic about 20% with Tamiya acrylic thinner, which I understand contains an additive to enhance spaying. I was very pleased with the result. Best of luck, Charlie
Charlie
latitude

Thanks!

Postby jimbothehotdog » Mon May 03, 2010 7:53 am

Thank you Charlie... I do have some Tamiya acrylics so I will give them a shot. I will get some Tamiya thinner, but would water work? I also read people using windex to thin acrylics.

JTHD
jimbothehotdog

Postby scigs30 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:45 am

I use Testors MM acrylics with good results, the secret is light multiple coats. Airbrushing acrylics can take some time getting used to, but clean up is so easy. You can airbrush dope, but make sure you have a good ventilation system and there is no chance of ignition. I am currently building a Guillows Bird Dog and I think I am going to try these paints out. http://www.dmcolor.com/products/
I have these paints are lighter than airbrushing, I will let you know how it goes.
scigs30

Postby cliffm » Mon May 03, 2010 12:17 pm

I have a Paasche dble action and can find nothing wrong with it. I got a $100 compressor with regulator at a local discount store and found that the acrylics from their arts and crafts section work quite well thinned with water. You will find that multiple thin coats work the best with 6-10 coats required making sure to let it dry thorougly between coats. I would check with the manufacturer before using something like butyrate as it will liquify a lot of plastics and seal materials. You will find that if you charge the tank on your compressor, unplug and let it set for 20-30 minutes the water will settle out of the air and you can use it until your pressure runs too low and repeat the process draining the water before recharging. I use this process to forgo using a water separator as I have a lot more time than money and haven't found a suitable separator.
cliffm

Tamiya Acrylics

Postby lukebozek1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:28 am

I have tried about seven different manufacturers and found that the Tamiya paint materials work great, signifigantly better than going to the craft store. they are hard to find, but when you do, add the site to your favorites. The acrylics go on over the dope with no problem. Might cause sagging on white glue, I do not know for sure, but worth the try. Clean-up is easy, and they seem to flow better through the airbrush than some others. Thinned out a bit they really do make the finishing easier. I use the Badger, middle grade, no air compressor yet, just the bottled stuff. Anyone recommend a good-cheap compressor? Focus on the cheap. I never tried spraying dope through the air-brush, kind of like can the fumes get any worse? Do I need forced air? Will this cause permanent genetic damage?
lukebozek1

Postby flash52 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:38 pm

I use a Campbell Hausefeld 2 gallon 100psi compressor. It does not take too many cans of propellant to buy a good compressor. I bought mjne at Harbor Freight for $69 dollars on sale. I have seen them at other stores and on the web too. Air pressure adjustable from 0-100 psi. I do most of my work around 30 psi. If I was going to do a lot of non-acrylic painting in humid conditions I would use an air drier on the compressor.
flash52

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:55 pm

I have been using a Testor's air brush with everything from a Black and Decker tire inflator (Desperation) to a Paasche compressor (Fortunate gift). Works great with Testor's Acryl, Tamaya, and opaque acrylic airbrush ink. Acrylics carry a big load of water already so you need an in-line water trap for reliable results. I fix my tissue with Krylon, #1303, so the tissue sags alarmingly after spraying, but it never fails to tighten right back up.

I sometimes use friskit for masking , but a suggestion by Orv Olm works better. Take some domestic tissue, spray it with 3 to 4 coats of Krylon, cut it to shape and apply with 3M repositionable glue stick (Post-It note glue). You can get very fine lines that way.
kittyfritters

Return to General Building Questions