Dopeing and Painting

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Dopeing and Painting

Postby ADW 123 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:28 am

just for a foot note... this is how i cover: i take wite glue, paint it onto the fraims that touch the tissue, and then i put tissue that is larger than the frame so some is hanging off..... then i try to make it so it is smoothe as possible, then i take more white glue and paint it on top of the outside frames. i wait until i the glue is dry, then i spray with clean water.... seems to work really well! any coments so far?? for all of you who put dope on top of the paper after u finish covering, what would you recoment??? how do you cover and paint?
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:18 pm

You know what?

I didn't mention FUEL PROOF DOPE....

I don't even know what happens when you dump hot fuel on 50/50 elmers, but I betcha it ain't good...

SIG AEROGLOSS FUEL PROOF DOPE...

You may need a grup to buy it for you... You'll see why when you open it, and use it in the garage. You'll see why when you open it. Don't breathe it, you'll see why when you open it. Ever wonder what's wrong with me? You'll see why when you open it...

:twisted:

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby ADW 123 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:12 pm

i know about fuel proof dope
ADW 123

Re: Dopeing and Painting

Postby Xanadu » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:45 pm

ADW 123 wrote:just for a foot note... this is how i cover: i take wite glue, paint it onto the fraims that touch the tissue, and then i put tissue that is larger than the frame so some is hanging off..... then i try to make it so it is smoothe as possible, then i take more white glue and paint it on top of the outside frames. i wait until i the glue is dry, then i spray with clean water.... seems to work really well! any coments so far?? for all of you who put dope on top of the paper after u finish covering, what would you recoment??? how do you cover and paint?

I just give it a coat with clear dope, than paint to suit after it drys. The dope seals the tissue.

I use dope for covering as well, just brush on all the surfaces needed as contact points and let it dry. Then I cut a piece of tissue to size, and test fit.
I use the wet style of covering though, not dry.
Give the structure more dope where you are laying the tissue on. Then while holding the tissue up, I spray a mist of water onto it. I then lay it down into position, rubbing with my finger at contact points all around, all while tightening the tissue a bit. You don't need to tighten too much, it will shrink during the water evaporation. I then paint on top of the tissue more dope where I want good adhesion all around the edges, and rub the tissue down good and tight along those edges. After it all drys, I then trim as required, and sand the edges smooth.

I have done both ways before and just prefer the wet style. I think it is easier to lay down, conform to shapes, but the drawback is it tears more easy than when it is dry.
Xanadu

Postby Xanadu » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Forgot to mention:

Pull the tissue just tight enough to get the wrinkles out, no more otherwise it will tighten up too much and twist the structure maybe.

After it is all dry, give it a coat of clear dope. Then after that is dry, paint away to your hearts content.
I use cheap dollar store paints, and they are fine.
Xanadu

Return to General Building Questions