Gasoline Engines

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Gasoline Engines

Postby ADW 123 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm

i have the large scale ME 109, and i also have a small fuel tank, and a cox .049 tee dee attached to it. i may post some pictures later but for now any advice would be awesome. anything on flying a u control model. i have started the engine after quite a few attemps and everything is runing up to speed.... now for the tricky part.... getting the thing to fly! if you have built and succesfully flown a u control model, please give some advice! :D please note that i am just tying to get it to fly in a cicle... nothing fancy :D
ADW 123

U-Control

Postby BillParker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 pm

I've flown virtually every Guillow's plane big enuff to take a cox motor. What do you want to know?

I'm getting ready to build and fly a 1000 series P47 with a teedee .051 hot rod motor...

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby ADW 123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:48 am

because im new to gasoline flying, ur failurs could be my benifit.... tips and tricks of the game would be nice
ADW 123

Postby cliffm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:31 am

Make sure you have some good travel stops on your elevator control and ample right rudder to keep the lines taut and you might want to time the run time so you can judge the time you want to stand there going round, and round and round and round, you"ll find how much fuel to put in it after a little experimentation. When you start getting good at it you just might go all day flying without breaking something, but you will find taking super-glue and various tapes and repair articles along to the field will help lengthen flying time. Have Fun!
cliffm

Postby ADW 123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:38 am

the think is is that im doing a very basic control line set up. i have the rudder bent to the right to control the plane's direction, and i have a simple control line set up... with two lines for the elevation that are connected to the bell crank. i made no modifications rather i followed the instructions with the plane. it was a large scale guillows that was designed for gas flight and gave me decent instructions.
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:27 pm

The following tips contain editorial points of view that might be disturbing to younger or more sensitive viewers. Opinions in these tips reflect the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Guillow's or any human being living or dead...

Reader discretion is advised...

Okay tips... let's see...

1.. Bellcrank. Make durned sure that you do it the way they show you in the plans. Don't get smart and re-do it outside the airplane. If you do, hang the plane on the ceiling and go buy a new one.

2.. Internal gas tank. Oh lord... You can't buy small external fuel tanks anymore. 2 oz. tanks are all I can find. Tried to order a 1.5 oz. tank online, but they didn't actually have em anymore. Guess how long a 1/2a motor will run on 1.5 oz. nitro fuel? Yeah... Now try 2 oz. Other problem, gas it up with 2 oz. of fuel in the nose and the plane doesn't balance anymore. (not that a 1/2a plane has to balance that perfectly) but it'll fly like a pissed of squirrel until you burn off enuff fuel... Lesson learned?: don't fill it up.

3.. Landing gear. Landing gear for U-Control on these plane needs to be 10 foot tall, invisible, and bullet proof. That is to say... If you're tying them on with a piece of string, (see the plans, I sh*t you not) hang it on the ceiling and go buy another one. I don't do the cross wing spar with a landing gear strut on each end. I build a wire and balsa sandwich and mount it in the wing, strengthening stuff as required. I'll post pics on the P-47 when I get there. Bottom line is the warbirds in the Guillow's line don't hand launch well, and even with somebuddy who knows how to hand launch it's hit or miss, so don't let your landing gear get busted. If you want to shoot touch and goes, do it with a plane designed for touch and goes... Follow?

4.. Firewall. Don't get me started on the vinyl firewall clusterpoop. Replace your vinyl firewall with a plywood job. If you keep the vinyl one, don't fly it in my neighborhood. You ain't living till you see a motor leave a plane behind. Oh, and... I don't care what kind of glue you used. Get a plywood firewall.

5.. Lines. 1/2a is generally about 30 foot. Depends on who you talk to. I've found closer to 26 foot is better with your GoldenBee and Texaco motors. The TeeDee .051's we'll be using should drag all of em around at 30 foot real nice.

bp
BillParker

gasoline? Say: FUEL

Postby BillParker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:31 pm

don't put GASOLINE in that motor. Sorry, had to be said.
BillParker

Postby ADW 123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:46 pm

thank you :D

i have an external fuel tank that is about an ounce and also serves as the mount for the motor.... in other words, my fuel tank is the motor mount. i have gotten it started (my engine was brand new when i got it recently and i read the directions (thank god) i used glow fuel and i have read plenty of times to only use glow fuel on a glow engine.... although i am pretty sure there are gasoline ones out there. i have had some bad experiances with landing gears :roll: i have learned that i must make the landing gear as strong as posible for flight.... which i have made sure i have done. i followed the instructions closely, and i even used the control handle and string that was supplied inside of the kit. i have yet to balance my plane but will do so as soon as i can fly in warm weather :lol:
ADW 123

Postby ADW 123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:47 pm

thank you :D

i have an external fuel tank that is about an ounce and also serves as the mount for the motor.... in other words, my fuel tank is the motor mount. i have gotten it started (my engine was brand new when i got it recently and i read the directions (thank god) i used glow fuel and i have read plenty of times to only use glow fuel on a glow engine.... although i am pretty sure there are gasoline ones out there. i have had some bad experiances with landing gears :roll: i have learned that i must make the landing gear as strong as posible for flight.... which i have made sure i have done. i followed the instructions closely, and i even used the control handle and string that was supplied inside of the kit. i have yet to balance my plane but will do so as soon as i can fly in warm weather :lol:
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:31 pm

As you get further into this, you may want to try a trick we've been doing here since Junior High school. (I'm 53...)

Take your 400 or 1000 series Guillow's warbird plan and from the "full sized side view" side of the plan trace onto regular white typing paper the entire fuselage shape.

Build your tail feathers out of 1/8 balsa, get your elevator hinged up. Build your wing normal. Make your fuse out of 1/4 balsa. This is called a silhouette plane. You'll want to shorten the nose to create a better front end for you to engineer your firewall, and bolt up your motor. Once you get into it, you'll see exactly what you want to do, don't worry. Generally we make landing gear wire into an inverted "V" shape and sandwich behind the firewall.

It ain't scale, but you can build em cheap. Just remember that all planes have a shelf life, once you start flying em, and whomever dies with the most planes wins.

bp
BillParker

Postby ADW 123 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:37 pm

interesting... but that seems too advanced and the thing is with this type of thing is that you have to have someone who has done it succesfully before who can teach you but that type of person may be on short supply now a days
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Okay...

Later on this spring we'll build one online here, one step at a time.

Mayhaps a P51? I'll have to look at the plans and see what I have that's not all blowed up already...

bp
BillParker

Postby ADW 123 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

keep in mind im only 13 i have plenty of years to gather wisdome like you :D
ADW 123

Postby ADW 123 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:29 pm

here is my gasoline plane, a6m3 zero, dr-1 triplane, and a supermarine spitfire(my best plane) Image
ADW 123

Postby Xanadu » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 pm

BillParker wrote:Okay...

Later on this spring we'll build one online here, one step at a time.

Mayhaps a P51? I'll have to look at the plans and see what I have that's not all blowed up already...

bp

Can I play too?
Xanadu

Next

Return to General Building Questions