Whats A Dihedral

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Whats A Dihedral

Postby LandSpeed » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Hi
this is my first balsa build, I build plastic car models. anyway in the instructions on my 404 Zero it says not to cement the 1/4 inch leading edge to the dihedral joints at this time. this is before the install of the ribs. I hope this makes some sort of sense

Thanks

Shayne
LandSpeed

Postby Xanadu » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Dihedral is the amount the wings are angled toward one another, as opposed to being flat right across from side to side.
Imagine taking a flat sheet of paper, then folding it in 1/2. The unfold it.....you will then see the paper does not lay perfectly flat again, the two sides and angled a bit. That angle is dihedral.

The joint mentioned is the section where you are joining the 2 wing halves together during the build. Its telling you not to glue the wing halves together yet, just build the 2 wing panels flat first because later you will be lifting one wing up at an angle to the other and then gluing the 2 panels together. Thereby you put a certain amount of dihedral in.

Make sense the way I explained it?
Xanadu

Postby LandSpeed » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:29 am

Thanks for the help. It makes sense now.
The fuselage went together well. I'll get the wing finished, then the big job of the papering. I will have lots more questions coming up and maybe some pictures.

Shayne
LandSpeed

Return to General Building Questions