HELP PLEASE...White spots are all over my tissue...

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

HELP PLEASE...White spots are all over my tissue...

Postby jimbothehotdog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Hello to all! I sure could use some expert advice... I was applying clear gloss Aerogloss to my plane and as it is drying white spots are appearing all over :shock: , but mostly on the area where the tissue is attached to the frame. I used 50/50 white glue and water to attache the tissue.
Anyone know what this is and can it be removed??

Thanks
jimbothehotdog

Postby cliffm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:53 pm

was your tissue totally dry before you applied the Aerogloss?
cliffm

Postby BillParker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:06 pm

I live in Houston, and get that (spots) when I do dope with too much humidity... (like now....)
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby jimbothehotdog » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:34 am

cliffm: Yes, the tissue was dry... probably was sitting for weeks since I covered it.

Hey Bill! I could blame it on the humidity but it's about 20 deg F here and pretty dry... This is my Hall's Bulldog I was working on and up until now was looking pretty nice... I feel the way you feel when the birds take a dump on your freshly washed and waxed car. :lol: :o
jimbothehotdog

Postby John G Jedinak » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:29 am

Never have had a spotting problem when using 50/50 water and white glue as a sealer.
John G Jedinak

Postby FLYBOYZ » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 am

Had this problem when mixing paints accept it was a cracking problem when it dryed
FLYBOYZ

out out damn spot

Postby peterc4 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:06 pm

I think I have had this problem too. I think its traces of white glue on the tissue that prevents the Aerogloss from soaking into the tissue fibers evenly - the white glue fills the tissue fiber and keeps the dope (lacquer - whatever Aerogloss is made of) from penetrating the tissue evenly?

This is a guess. I do other woodworking too (musical instruments) and know from experience that white glue residue/spots on wood will royally muck up finishing later - especially if you use oil based finishes or stains. Oil based compounds dont seem to be able to penetrate into wood where there is white glue residue. The glue acts like a sealer. It only takes a tiny spot of glue which you usually cant even see on the raw wood. Surprise!!! it looks like total crap when you try to put finish over it.

Back to planes. If this sounds like what you have, you can airbrush paint over superficial white spots on the tissue. If the spots are uneven spots or wrinkle the tissue surface (thick glue blobs), then airbrushing seems to make them look even worse. I have been down that street many times.

Covering is my waterloo. Something always goes wrong for me at this stage.

Hang in there. Ugly usually flies better than pretty anyway...
peterc4

Return to General Building Questions