papeing

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

papeing

Postby bobmusser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:03 pm

i have been using 50% diluted dope to attach my npaper. it looks like most folks are busing a glue. what bis the reason, and if i should, what is the formulation of it? also i have been told there is no grain it the enclosed paper. is this so, or do i need to put on a certain way. how do i know the grain? its not readily apparent on the paper
dboard piece( gas? ) that goes over the cowling. i have already papered and am ready to
bobmusser

Postby Xanadu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:17 pm

Glue vs Dope is a personal preference really. Glue does not smell as bad, and is common white glue and mixed 50-50 with water.

Personally, I like using the dope method.

If you hold the tissue up to a light, you will notice a slight "grain" to it. Hard to see, but it is there.
Xanadu

Postby Phugoid » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:53 pm

I use full strength dope and thinners to attach tissue. Smelly, but what I know best.

The tissue in the kits doesn't have much of a grain, you can tell the grain direction by making a couple of tears in one corner at right angles to each other. THe tear along the grain will be quite straight, the one across the grain will be jagged. Also 90% of the time the grain will run along the longest length of the sheet.

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby jim » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:41 am

hi bob
im using white glue for the smell issue mainly (wife sosnt seem to like it mutch i cant understand why hehe)

im new to this so im still experamenting i use a verry watery mix and 2 coat the model after sanding/shaping allmost like milk

attatching tissue
im verry slow at this bit
i found the stronger the mix the faster your tissue tack's
the weaker the mix gives longer to adjust but if not carefull tissue becomes weak

i had grain issues on my last model i used dope to shrink and seal not laying the grain in right caused my part's to warp badly
i found on the new model that the grain runs the longest length of the sheet

if you do get some warped peices the steaming kettle trick work's verry well i think using white glue help's shift any nast warp's too over a cement

good luck jim
jim

Return to General Building Questions