Guillows School club

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows School club

Postby MickeyB49 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:08 pm

I have posted here in the past and value all of the tips I have gotten from all of you, so here is my idea:

I am a mathematics teacher at a middle school and I have been thinking of starting a model airplane club after school to get kids interested in "stick and tissue" modeling. I am currently building a Kit 602 Piper Super Cub and a 500 series Spitfire after having completed a P40 and a FW190. I am relatively new at building, having last attempted any of these models over 30 years ago when I was a teenager.

I figure that Guillows kits are reasonably priced so that beginners, such as the kids who would join the club could afford to purchase a Piper Cub or other Junior Contest model. I have a basic idea as far as what additional building supplies would be needed, such as straight pins, white glue, and acrylic paints. I also will have to get the idea of hobby knives passed through the administration, and do not foresee a problem if strict security of the knives is adhered to. Workboards are another issue, yet I imagine something like old ceiling tiles could be put to use for those?

My question to the board is, am I missing anything? and I also would appreciate any suggestions or tips any of you may give.

I feel this would be a great way to insure that the art of builidng these models is not lost and that there will be a future for companies like Guillows. Even if I only get 1 or 2 kids to participate it would be worth my time and effort.
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
MickeyB49

Postby SteveM » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Check out the 4000 series, 603 Javelin, and 604 Lancer. Unless one of your goals is to model a real plane, these should be easy to build and fly.
SteveM

You'll need a good discounted place to buy your kits

Postby BillParker » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:59 pm

I know I can speak for all the guys here and say thank you and congratulations. Stay with it, you're doing the kids a service they'll remember and appreciate for years to come.

You'll need a good discounted place to buy your kits so be sure to look at these guys real hard:

http://www.acsupplyco.com/aerospace/guillows/guillowsmain.htm

Orders over $100 will get you free frieight...

Again, thank you for your efforts with the kids!

Sincerely,

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby jim » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:46 pm

brilliant idea just brilliant and i take my hat off to you sir for giving your time to help others
when i was a youngster i didnt have the kind of acsess your offering
but we did have an elderly gent who helped during woodwork lessons he offered out of school lessons on balsa planes
i honestly have those two people to thank for giving me the knowlage to start moddeling and more than likly choosing my career path as a joiner

if i may post a few suggestions

invove your woodwork collegue at work if possable
he may be able to help some student's make a workboard verry cheaply and to a good quality. when i was at school donations were accepted for timber used. he may also be able to include there project into curiculum.
could also be a good recruitment place seeing your finished models may be a good sign up point.
i found a link the last section has good tips and a image of a good craft knife for children

[url]
http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide/basic/safety/

a good cutting board/mat
safe storage school can be hectic to store project's only used once or 2 times a week
i use a candle rubbing it over my drawing once fixed to workboard havent seen it mentioned on this forum
white wood glue cheaper and easier to use than cement

hope something helped
thank you again for helping youngsters like i was

i hope you get the club off the ground

jim
jim

Postby MickeyB49 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Jim, I will check to see about the woodwork colleague. I know we have an Industrial Arts room, just do not know if it is even being offered this year. Cutbacks in budget, but maybe could be wrangled to at least have a place to work.
MickeyB49

Postby MickeyB49 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks for the link and congratulations Bill Parker. I truly appreciate that. I have often admired the planes I have seen from the pics you post. I have learned a lot just reading yours and scigs, and kittyfritters' posts
MickeyB49

Return to General Building Questions