Hello and 500 series Hurricane build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Hello and 500 series Hurricane build

Postby Phugoid » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi,

I've joined this forum since I have become a fan of the models of Scigs on the SFA website, and having had a go with one of the kits myself.

I built Stick and tissue models as a kid, mainly from a British manfacturer called Keil Kraft which no longer exists, these Guillows kits are very similar in concept being as they are cheap and cheerful fun as agaisnt the serious modeling that is de rigueur on the SFA site.

I built the 500 series hurricane, and aside from some of the features that make these kits so obviously cheap and accessible the only major major gripe I have is the weight of the balsa, which in reality for most builders precludes the beasts from ever taking off.

The first attempt with the kit wood came in at around 14g for the wooden frames alone, even with scaloping the frameworks to remove excessive weight. I rebuilt the frames with higher than medium stuff of the grade that I have found die cut in other kits and the weight was 8.5g. This is not super light and delicate stuff, but does give you a fighting chance of getting some flights in. It is just simply fustrating to have all of those neatly die cut parts and not be able to use them.......

Indeed when I finished the model, it was light enough to fly, right up a tree from where It disappeared overnight before I could get my friends fishing rod to get it out! doh!

I think that this will attach a picture of the airframes, which is the last one I took of the whole thing during the build (I didn't intend to loose it as quick as I did)

I'll probably buy another one of the 500 series kits now, perhaps I'll get lucky with the wood.

Andrew

[img]C:\users\andrew\desktop\mocked%20up%20frame3[/img]
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:33 pm

This might put a picture in I hope!

Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Nope, that didn't work either any ideas anyone?

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby Mfezi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:03 am

Hi Phugoid

I think for an image link to work, the link has to point directly to the .jpg file, rather than just the relevant album. I think the one below will work for your example:

What I entered was:
Code: Select all
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/4293286115_31f9607eca_o.jpg[/img]

I hope that works - I am also not always sure how all the tags work...
Mfezi

Postby Phugoid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks Mfezi,

Andrew
Phugoid

Return to General Building Questions