supermarine spitfire 401weight

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

supermarine spitfire 401weight

Postby jim » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 pm

hey could anyone advise a maximum weigt limit for this kit dosnt seem to be mentioned on the plans. i have a funny feeling im building a flying brick
i aim to use rubber power learn about weight and trimming before i dare advance to a powerd plane
ive coved most of the weight post's
reducing thickneses of formers and ribs/drilling small holes on formers and rib's/changing stock..... seems popular seems a long expencive way arround the problem ahh well guess i just need to build and fly see what happens and any advice would be mutch apreciated

jim
jim

Postby scigs30 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Jim, the 400 series were not designed for rubber powered. The fuselage, and tail surfaces are not too bad as long as the balsa is light. If not, you can replace the balsa with 8-10 lb/ft balsa. The wing is way over designed for rubber powered. The best bet is to re-design the entire wing to make it lighter. If not, then use light weight contest balsa and omit some of the spars. The leading edge will have to be real light balsa. The other part with these larger builds is the plastic parts add weight real fast. On the small 500 series, the plastic parts alone add 10grams. So there you have, good luck. I built the 400 series Zero when I was younger and could not get it to fly with rubber. I used the kit balsa and tried to lighten it. I ended up putting a Cox engine on it and it flew great. I also built the 400 series Mustang and made the wing lighter and used my own balsa. That one flew pretty good on rubber. I think the Hellcat and Corsair have a chance if better balsa is used.
scigs30

Postby jim » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:08 pm

thanks for the info scigs(cries like a baby) i was hoping to make my first flyer i will continue and make it a display plane i really need the practice anyway
i have a serese 500 p-40 to start next i guess some jewlers scales and some good balsa is required before i start and maybee a degree in airodynamic's hehe:p
it's all part of the learning curve i guess
thank you again
jim
jim

Return to General Building Questions