Flew my Guillows Hellcat, Messerschmitt, Zero

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Flew my Guillows Hellcat, Messerschmitt, Zero

Postby scigs30 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:45 pm

I am pretty happy with how these planes performed since I did not do any lighting of the wood. No modifications and used the Guillows props. They are a little tough to trim because of the weight but all and all not bad. I wish someone up there at Guillows was listening and would institute some quality control with the balsa so it is around 8-12 lb balsa. These are great designs and can be a lot of fun. Also I am a little disappointed with Guillows Customer service. I called about the heavy wood and was willing to BUY replacement wood that was lighter, but they said they have no control over that and what I get is what I get. I really hope Guillows reads these forums....Enough ranting.
Today was a nice day here in So. Cal so I decided to fly my WWII birds. We took a lot of pictures but most did not turn out. It is real hard to take pictures with the planes fly fast and the camera wants to focus in on the background. Hellcat- The Hellcat did real well with flights near a minute on 3/16 rubber. It stayed in the air until the rubber wound down. Little nose weight and down thrust and she was ready to go...........The best WWII performer that Guillows has. Here is the kicker...My other Guillows Hellcat that is totally modified with contest balsa flies just as good as this one with no mods and using kit wood. They both fly close to a minute.
Zero........Added weight up front and down thrust. Flew with 3/16 rubber for 32 seconds. Could use a little more washout in both tips, but all and all not bad.
Messerschmitt. This is the 4th time I took this gem out, still a nice flyer at 35 seconds with 2 lengths of 1/8 rubber and weighing in at 41 grams.....I removed the landing gear.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:46 pm

scigs30

Postby r wheatley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:55 pm

man, they all look great!!!! what kind of paint do you use , and do you air brush?
the planes are beautiful in flight.

Ronnie
r wheatley

Postby scigs30 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Ronnie, I use Testors MM acrylics and yes I airbrush them.
scigs30

Postby H65 Driver » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:38 am

Beautiful planes, David. Great pictures, too. What goes into your decision on the type and length (1 loop or 2) of rubber? Also, I take it that the little tab on the bottom of the left wing is to keep the plane in a left turn. What material do you use for it?
H65 Driver

Postby Noobrider » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:05 am

as usual great builds and great pictures. I wish I could go out flying but we have about a foot of snow and temperatures of -8 here in the UK.
If at first you don't succeed try, try....try new batteries
Noobrider

Return to General Building Questions