HELP!!! build question

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

HELP!!! build question

Postby cubic$racing » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:55 pm

I am getting back to the hobby after many years away. My first project is a mitchell b25. What I have found is that the formers for the fuelage and the ribs for the wings do not have the slots cut into them for the stringers. Am I to understand this is correct and you have to cut every slot for the stringers.

So do you use the plan to cut them before you glue in place. I may be wrong but i do not remember doing this years ago when I was in the hobby and unless I am missing something appears to be a step back

Any help is greatly appreciated
cubic$racing

Postby Xanadu » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:26 pm

If this is a Guillow's kit, then the slots should be diecut onto the sheets already. You may just need to finish the slots lightly and pop them out.

If there is no markings or diecut impressions, then I would return the kit to your LHS you bought it from, or contact customer service at Guillow's.
Xanadu

Postby cubic$racing » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:47 pm

It is a Guillows kit and from your suggestion I sent customer service an email.

The formers and ribs have a cut line partialy stamped in each piece but the lines runs parrallel to the part but has no vertical cut lines at all. It is next to impossible to make fresh vertical cuts without having the balsa break a piece off because of the grain of the wood. I have tried every type of blade but no luck whatsover so either i have a problem with the cut or need a suggestion on how to cut the wood without having it break.

thank you for your reply
cubic$racing

Postby r wheatley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:39 pm

I built that b-25 years ago and it should be die cut for the stringers. thats strangh, I am building the bird dog , ,the ribs was die cut for the stringers but not for the spars, I cut them in with a dremel tool the best I could

Ronnie
r wheatley

Postby dbcisco » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:42 pm

Get a hot knife at the craft store. It is basically a soldering iron with an Xacto blade. Got mine at Michaels for around $10 with a coupon. No more broken balsa!
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

Postby flash52 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:16 pm

I use a notcher to cut my slots. Just use a popcicle stick with fine grit sand paper glued on the edge for a 1/16 slot. Mark your formers from the plan pattern, sometimes the die cuts are off a little, and sand away. Does a real nice job.
flash52

Postby cliffm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Rather than pinning the parts to the prints and cutting slots I followed the tip found in one of the building brochures and marked the slots with pencil so I can freely move the part around to cut the slots out. Much handier. As for the small pieces that chip off during the process, I just glue the broken part back together,let it dry,then proceed. As for the very small parts if they are going to affect the appearance you can always use some filler before covering. Elmer's interior wood filler works quite well for this and is very sandable and easy to work with. Happy New Year.
cliffm

Postby Von Wolfkill » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:40 pm

I had this happen with a few of the planes that I have built over the years. My B-24 came like that. I just took very lite nicks in the formers and ribs till I got to the thickness of the stringers. It took a very long time. I still had break offs. I had to cut little strips glue them in place, then file and sand them to shape. I still haven't finished this model. The fuselage got smashed in a move. so I have to all that over again. LOL
Waiting for my boy to get old enough to build one of his own
Von Wolfkill

Postby cubic$racing » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 am

I can give an update to my problem. I am using a variable speed dremel with a thin cutoff blade to finish the cut and after I experimented and found the correct speed it works perfect without any damage to the balsa.
cubic$racing

Notching for stringers

Postby Steve_in_NH » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:12 pm

I've been using "The Notcher" from Shorty's Basement. Works fantastic. When the sandpaper gets worn, I just cut it off and use some CA glue to attach a new strip...
Steve_in_NH

Notching for stringers

Postby Steve_in_NH » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:14 pm

I've been using "The Notcher" from Shorty's Basement. Works fantastic. When the sandpaper gets worn, I just cut it off and use some CA glue to attach a new strip... Forgot the Link. http://www.shortysbasement.com/index.ph ... ductId=307
Steve_in_NH

Return to General Building Questions