500 Series Spitfire

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

500 Series Spitfire

Postby skywarp » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:17 pm

I started building this before I found out about the challenge so this one may just end up as a display. I am going to try and get it to fly, but she feels kinda heavy. I had some extra plastic parts from a previous Spit build that was ruined mid way so I used them to make this a MK IX (or close to it considering the exhaust) Image[/img]
Hmm...it worked in the movies.
skywarp

Postby skywarp » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:32 pm

The canopy will go on after painting as well as the exhaust stacks (a habit I have from my plastic model days, the canopy always went on last). She feels heavy, and like I said I will try to fly if she won't she will go on the display shelf.
skywarp

Postby scigs30 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Skywarp, The Guillows Spitfire will come in over 30 grams not matter what you do because it requires a lot of clay to balance. To fly her, you will first need to balance via CG and add clay until balanced. Then it will take 2 loops of 1/8 rubber and down thrust. Also don't fly with landing gear or you will tear it about, trust me I did. This kit, the Stuka and Rufe would be decent flyers if all you did is replace the wood. I too am building for the challenge and was going to build all the planes. Lately I am thinking about not building the Spitfire or Stuka because they are tough to trim when built heavy. I might build them with replacement wood. Please finish the build and try to fly her, you might be supprised, my Messerchmitt flew at 45 grams.
scigs30

Postby skywarp » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks! Scigs, I will give a try to with flying. I started the build with flight in mind by removing material in the formers, but got lazy and just started putting it together. Any particular brand of rubber you suggest? If it will fly that would be great, but I plan to make a FW-190 and a Hellcat for the challenge. And the model's weight right now without paint and clay is 35 grams, +/-. The only scale I have is a kitchen scale and I don't think it is too accurate.
skywarp

Postby scigs30 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:22 pm

Skywarp, Yes the first thing you have to do is buy a scale, they are cheap. Then any tan rubber will do from Peck or any other freeflight store. Also buy some rubber lube, I use Peck. The kit wood is so heavy just removing some of the wood will not make a difference. For the challenge we have to use kit wood and you might be able to shave a gram or two but not much more. The best way to build this kit is buy some quality balsa and xerox the kit wood onto removable paper. Then stick the paper onto the balsa and begin cutting. This is much fast and produces better results than trying to sand, shave and cut the kit wood. The last thing that would help this kit is to move the motor peg forward. Also are you going to remove the landing gear for flight?
scigs30

Postby skywarp » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:08 pm

Yes, I plan to take the gear off for flight so as not to destroy it or the wing on a landing. I notice the landing gear for these series is not as suited for landings as the 900's. I have since taken the gear out of my 900 P-51 and it seems to fly a little better. Before I paint and finish the model I will get some good rubber and lube and get it set up. I have moved the motor mount forward by one former as I have read about here. I will also look for some Peck props. Thanks for all of your advice scigs, it has been very valuable to me. BTW I just test glided my 900 tyhpoon with very promising results. According to my kitchen scale it comes out to 25 grams finished, with a 7 gram lead stick weight in the nose. Flies straighter than my mustang. :D
skywarp

Postby scigs30 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Skywarp, 30 grams is what you looking for with these 500 series kits. Also add 1/16 to 3/32 shim under both wing tips at the trailing edge for washout, the will help with stability. Also the 5 inch prop that comes with the kit should work fine.
scigs30

Return to General Building Questions