Aeronca Champion

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Aeronca Champion

Postby Mfezi » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:54 am

Hi

This is my first post here. I thought I'll show a couple of pictures of the Aeronca Champion that I just completed a couple of days ago.

I used a mix of kit wood and my own wood to save some weight. I also cut a few lightening holes in the wing trailing edge material and I covered using white Esaki tissue. I liked the green colour scheme shown on the box, so reproduced that with sprayed on white and green Humbrol enamel.

I built this model to fly, but haven't done so yet. Currently it weighs 42 grams as shown here, but without the rubber. The CG is very slightly aft, so I will probably need a few more grams of weight in the nose. I modified the nose a little to form a plug-in forward section, which added some useful weight in front and which also makes it easy to trim or add ballast in the nose. Thanks to Scigs30 for that idea - in the past I just used the molded ABS plastic without any change.

I really enjoyed this build - the first kit in the 300 series that I have ever built.

Regards,
Bennie

Mfezi

Postby r wheatley » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Bennie, that is a beautiful build, I built that same kit as static model and plan to build another one to fly....got any tips as to how you get the wind shield to fit so neat? is that the kit prop, thanks, and let us know how she flys

Ronnie
r wheatley

Postby Mfezi » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Thanks for the compliments!

Ronnie, the wind shield was by far the most challenging part of the entire build. I usually build WWII fighters and have only built a few cabin models. The windshield has a rather complex curvature, but what helped me a little (it was still not easy), was to carve and sand down that strut just behind the windshield so that the windshield itself required a little less of a curve as seen from the side. Other than that just lots of trial and error and patience. I used clear epoxy glue as an adhesive and small strips of Tamiya masking tape to help me keep it in position as it set. I kept thinking there must be an easier way to do this...

Finally, I used narrow tissue strips applied with white glue followed by dope to fair the windscreen into the fuselage. I did the same with the side windows. Everything was then masked (again using Tamiya masking tape that I also use to mask plastic models), and first the white and then the green was sprayed on. I used very thin paint and did not try to get a completely opaque finish.

The prop is a slightly larger 6" prop, as the kit prop looked a little too small for me.

Will let you know once I get a chance to fly her.

Regards,
Bennie
Mfezi

Postby scigs30 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:05 pm

Bennie, I built my Aeronca with kit wood and no modifications. Mine with clay came out to 48 grams and it flew pretty good. I still have parts cut out from quality balsa and some day I will build one like yours. Great job, and yes please fly her.
scigs30

Return to General Building Questions