Quick hello and intro

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Quick hello and intro

Postby Noobrider » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi, just getting back into building flying planes again after a long layoff. Basically my son has started building plastic kits and I goaded by showing him some Guillows kits and now he and his mate are itching to get started.

I loved building the old Guillows kits so we have ordered a few to get us started. I'm building my old favourite the Avenger from the 500 series and the two boys are having a bash at the Typhoon each.

I've even set them a bit of a target to enter the competition so we will see how they get on for first time balsa builders and we will sort them out with something from the 500 series.

Getting quite excited now and I'm really chuffed that I have introduced a couple of brand new builders in this age of computers. Gotta teach them the principles of flight as well so should be an interesting start.
If at first you don't succeed try, try....try new batteries
Noobrider

Postby BillParker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:14 pm

Congrats to you sir! Stay with it...

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Noobrider » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:26 pm

well to my amazement the two planes landed on my doorstep on Christmas eve. Today is boxing day and we started the build.

I'm doing some serious lightening on the avenger while My son is doing a standard build, probably best for a first ever model.

Here's some pics

Son's start

Both building boards

The avenger parts drilled
Noobrider

Postby skywarp » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:27 pm

Congrats noobrider! I know what you mean about getting the new generation in on building. I just got my 11 year old son interested in these Guillows. He built the Hurricane as his first model (The Hurricane is his favorite warbird of all :D ) but he built it for display, now he wants a flier so he is building the Typhoon also. I just finished a Typhie myself. So we are doing a father son build, his Typhie and my Spit. It's fun for he and I plus it helps him with paying attention to details. Good luck with your builds, and post pics!
skywarp

Postby Noobrider » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:17 am

well we cracked on and I must say how impressed I was with my sons very first effort. Good accuracy and attention to detail is making a really good FW190.

Avenger is coming along
Noobrider

missed one

Postby Noobrider » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:19 am

15Yr old sons very first balsa model
Noobrider

Postby Noobrider » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:00 pm

OK quick question regarding the challenge.

I'm proposing to build a TBM water Bomber version as per the Canadian Forest protection company. This involves changing the canopy. I plan on removing half of the rear of the canopy and replacing with foam shaped to the correct profile. As I will also be adding the water tank where the bomb bay doors are, would this break the rules for the challenge?

I am using some of the canopy but I'm also adding some parts. I really like the colour scheme and its something a bit different
Noobrider

Postby Noobrider » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:04 am

OK, Avenger covered and 50/50 white glue water applied to cover the tissue. Just about ready for painting now.
Noobrider

Postby jim » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:48 am

hi noobrider brilliant pic's lovly to see your son's model
im verry new to modeling was a big help to see the ligtning techneque you are using ive only ever read about it seeing it in practical use is a big helplooking forward to seeing more pic's when your a bit furter on with them

jim
jim

Postby Noobrider » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks Jim, I managed to buy some paint today so we will be starting the prettying up stage next. Will have some pictures to post when thats done
Noobrider

Postby Noobrider » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:14 am

well I got some painting done eventually. Took a few photos but my camera seems to have developed a bit of a focussing fault so this is the best one of the bunch. Nearly done now

Noobrider

Postby Noobrider » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:19 am

well we went flying today, mixed results. After trimming the Avenger made some respectable flights around 30 secs
Noobrider

Return to General Building Questions