Old man starting a new hobby

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Old man starting a new hobby

Postby Ernie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Greetings and thank you in advance for your advice. I am interested in building my first Guillow model and would like some advice on good "starter planes." At my age I will not be doing much flying so display is what I have in mind. I have built many wooden boat models but now it is time to change. I am not sure if you can teach an old dog new tricks but I am willing to try. Anyway, am I foolish to start out with a biplane? They have held an interest to me but do not want to get in over my head at the onset.
Again, any advice would be welcomed and I would like to wish you all a wonderful holiday season!
Ernie

Postby John G Jedinak » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Not sure how old an "Old Dog" is, but, if you "Remember Pearl Harbor", you welcome to join many of us "Old Dogs". I'll let the younger more experienced guys make the real recommendations. Myself I would recommend the Guillows Series 500 Hawker Hurricane....Luck, JGJ
John G Jedinak

Postby BillParker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:36 pm

500 series is a real good place to start as it's low cost, and at least it's a taildraggin' warbird... from there the 400 series pplanes, then you'll be ready to fight with the wing struts on the bipes.

Best advice I ever got on this forum: ALWAYS FINISH THE PROJECT, NO MATTER WHAT GOES WRONG. That way you learn. Even when it comes time to cover the plane, as long as there's no gaping holes, you did a good job... (you'll see...)

and:

HAVE ALL THE FUN!

BP
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby cliffm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:29 pm

My first one was the 1000 series corsair. Then the 2000 series catalina. They took up most of my wintery hours and both came out quite nice. With the step by step instructions and the plans included in these kits they are really enjoyable and simple to construct. My first try at the white glue method for covering worked surprisingly well. I'm now waiting for my x-mas gift from the wife,a 2000 series B-17. Good luck.
cliffm

Postby SteveM » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:30 pm

You might also consider the 200 series. They are bi-planes and the laser cut wood is easier to work with.
SteveM

Postby BillParker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:10 pm

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Return to General Building Questions