Guillows Messerschmitt

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows Messerschmitt

Postby scigs30 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:21 pm

I have a few planes I would like to build for the 2010 500 series challenge. The first is a Messerschmidt. I have a few of these kits so I tried to pick the lightest wood. The average weight was 15lb/ft, ouch. So I first tried to shave, sand and modify to make it lighter. I cut out the parts and realized it no longer had the Guillows design look, so I threw those parts out and started over. I wanted to build this right out of the box, since it does say "flying rubber model". It is a fun and fast build, no die crushed parts, but wood was heavy. I made no modifications what so ever and the only thing I am replacing is the rubber. I used the kits tissue and covered wet with no problems. I applied 1 coat of dope and now I will lightly airbrush the colors...I think......I don't think this is going to fly very well since it now weighs 29 grams and it is not balanced or finished. I have all the parts cut from lighter balsa to build the Messerschmidt, Zero, P40, Stuka and Hellcat. I will build them the exact same way as this build but replace the wood. I know I can't enter these in the flying contest but maybe in the static display area? There is another component of the 2010 challenge that was introduced by Orv, sounds very interesting.
Formers laid out
That is some heavy wood
Here are the formers I cut out from lighter balsa, what a difference.
Structure is built and will cover with kit tissue.
I covered with wet tissue and it came out smooth with no wrinkles. The top of the wing was covered with 3 pieces of tissue, I stretched the tissue over the wing tip so I did not have cover in sections.
After the fillets are added, I will begin airbrushing.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Here is my first attempt at the challenge.........I cut away a lot of balsa and still was not lighter than my replacement balsa with no shaving.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:58 am

I took my Bf-109 out flying and crashed her pretty good. I had her all set up for the trash this weekend, then decided to fix her up. I have not painted a model in years so I wanted to practice painting. When all is said and done, the weight is still 30 grams, and I will try flying her again.
scigs30

Postby John G Jedinak » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:36 am

NICELY done.....luck on Challenge JohnG.
John G Jedinak

Postby cliffm » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Outstanding!!!!!
cliffm

Postby scigs30 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:38 pm

I flew this plane today and it did ok. Weight with rubber and clay 45 grams. That is way too heavy for a 16 inch bird. I used 3/16 rubber and it flew for about 21 seconds. Comes in hard during the landing since it is a brick, causing damage to landing gear. I only flew it once but not too bad for a heavy bird. I will build the exact same thing but with quality balsa and removable landing gear. I think I am going to give this to my brother for Christmas. P.s If Guillow is reading these boards......This plane was built using everything from the kit minus the rubber band. There are no modifications what so ever, no shaving of the wood or functioning nose block. If the wood would have been 7 to 9lb/ft vs 15-19 lb/ft. This plane would have flown like a charm. I really think if Guillows puts a little more effort into quality balsa they have a good product to offer. These kits are great because they are beefy so the beginner would not have any issues with breaking the balsa. These kits are so beefy that lighter balsa would no make them more fragile, but they would sure fly great. JMO......
scigs30

Return to General Building Questions