Lancer questions?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Lancer questions?

Postby ranarc » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:41 am

Greetings,

Just finished the 604 - Lancer. Seems to have balanced well without adding any weight. Hand tossed it a few times (rubber and prop installed, no turns). Flies straight:-) I have two questions:

1) For fixing the wing to the fuselage, the instrustions says "DO NOT cement". Why is this? The wing needed to be adjusted before every toss. Not that I mind, just curious. Took quite some thought and effort to get the wing and rubber band in place:-)

2) One leg of the landing gear is already a bit wobbly. Is there any flying penalty if I changed the landing gear into a single bent wire piece and used the wood only for decoration? Finding grass covered areas to fly is difficult, so I have to fly on hard ground.

Cheers, Rana
ranarc

Postby BillParker » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:34 am

1) For fixing the wing to the fuselage, the instrustions says "DO NOT cement". Why is this? The wing needed to be adjusted before every toss. Not that I mind, just curious. Took quite some thought and effort to get the wing and rubber band in place:-)

You can have your wing "detach" in a rough landing and be in pretty good shape to re-attach and fly again, or you can have your cemented on wing torn violently from your fuselage and be destroyed... Which do you choose?...
:twisted:

2) One leg of the landing gear is already a bit wobbly. Is there any flying penalty if I changed the landing gear into a single bent wire piece and used the wood only for decoration? Finding grass covered areas to fly is difficult, so I have to fly on hard ground.

Or even better loose the LG completely, rebalance the plane, and go fly it!

Stay with it, and enjoy!

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby ranarc » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:49 am

Thanks Bill.

Did some work yesterday and figured out more. There isn't enough wood area to make a strong join. Maybe 10 sqmm in all!! No tissue area. The upthrust will rip the wing off in flight ..... The tailplane join is similar, but has lots of tissue area.

Loosing the LG? Great tip. Would need to add weight near the tail. Got to figure this one out. The change in landing gear changed the balance, got it balanced again:) Can't weigh, so don't know how much weight got added. Haven't tossed it yet.

Cheers, Rana
ranarc

Return to General Building Questions