Cellophane Canopies

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Cellophane Canopies

Postby MickeyB49 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:42 pm

I just started building these planes again and have not done so since I was a teenager. My building skills are not all that great and I have much to learn. I finished the 500 series P40 and FW190. The FW190 was the second one I built and it came out much better then my P40 (thanks to some of the posts on here about using acrylic paints instead of enamel and using something other than the supplied tissue for covering.--I used silkspan). One major problem I am having is creating the "cellophane" canopy and attaching it. On the P40 I glued it to stiff card stock paper I had and then painted over the paper part while I was painting the plane. On the FW190, the plans said to attach this part of the canopy before painting, which I did, but then I was able to see the stringers and forms through the canopy and they really stood out with the rest of the plane being painted gray. As a result, I ended up painting over the cellophane to make it look better. Any suggestions?

My current build is the 900 series P51, then it is back to the 500 Series Spitfire.

Also, what suggestions do any of you have as far as what to attach the canopy with and what to use for the cellophane? I used a model cement for clear parts to attach and I used cellophane that came off of a bundle of cigars. As far as resources locally, we have a Hobby Lobby and a HobbyForce store.

Thanks for all the great posts on this forum. I am learning quite a lot.
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
MickeyB49

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Try clear acetate from an art supply store. Try to find the 0.005 inch thickness. (A couple of bucks for a sheet large enough that you will use it for years.) It will be easier to work than cellophane and takes paint. It is also moldable with heat if you want to go that far.
kittyfritters

Postby John G. Jedinak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Sorry, but, I am not following the reference to "cellophane". Are you talking about the "plastic" canopy???? Thanx, JGJ
John G. Jedinak

Postby MickeyB49 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:55 pm

John,

In the plans for the P40 and the Focke Wolf FW190, there are templates for the rear of the canopy. It says to glue cellophane to stiff bond paper. These are in addition to the plastic canopy supplied with the kits.
MickeyB49

Postby MickeyB49 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:56 pm

KittyFritters,

Thnks so much for the tip. I shall take your suggestion and check into it at the hobby store.
MickeyB49

Postby John G. Jedinak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:13 pm

O.K., I'm with the program now. Rather than going to the LHS for plastic/cellophane....think about stuff used to bubble wrap/enclose common store items. For example I used plastic from the cover of a pie and plastic from the enclosure of ordinary pencils, etc., etc.....Luck!!!

P.S. FWTW...when gluing plastic to wood...I seal the wood with either a model cement or white glue and let dry, then apply the plastic glue to the plastic and hold in place for a minute or so.......Luck, JGJ
John G. Jedinak

Postby scigs30 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:27 am

I use .003 Acetate for all my window needs. You can order this from Dicks art store. For glue I tack glue with Med. CA. Don't use too much or you will get fogging. I apply a little dot with a wire.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:54 am

Also, I have tried a lot of glues for my canopies and most work about the same. The one thing I can tell you is there is no perfect solution. I have used, Testors wood cement, Duco, Canopy glue, CA and Beacon 527. They are pretty much the same as far as strength except CA is the strongest. The problem with CA is that it may fog up on you. The cements work ok you just have to apply on bare wood, let dry and apply again this time attaching the clear windshield. The best advise is make sure you have a smooth normal fit. Trying to force a windshield to fit is trouble waiting.
scigs30

Postby skywarp » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:50 am

Just add another tip to this thread, when I needed cellophane or just some clear plastic for the aft canopies on a P-40 I had build, I used the plastic from a box of cigarettes. My inlaws smoke like B-52 engines so for me there is no shortage. Just thought I would pass that a long.
skywarp

Postby John G Jedinak » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:42 pm

Skywarp: Interesting innovation. Just goes to show, as I mentioned before, just look around with imagination,: alot of stuff around for free.
John G Jedinak

Postby Xanadu » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:14 pm

My best choice for glue is canopy glue. But, you need to clamp it, pin, etc or whatever to hold it until the glue dries. It dries clear though.
Xanadu

Return to General Building Questions