Planking and Fill-in Techniques Advice

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Planking and Fill-in Techniques Advice

Postby stic » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 am

How about some activity for the board???

I am relatively newly returned to the hobby. Most everything I do is for display. I'm planning on "covering" the next model with balsa with the fill-in technique (versus complete sheeting).

I'd like some advice and tips from the experts on the technique...

Any advice on glue (what to avoid)?
Fitting techniques for the balsa pieces? Any cutting tips?
How about placement advice? Do you let the fill-in bits ride a bit high so you can sand flush to the frame?
What about the use of filler (e.g. Hobbylite or "spackle")? Any tips here?

Any advice you guys can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
stic

Postby stic » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:14 pm

David,

Thanks for the reference over to the Virtual Aerodrome. You've got a ton of stuff over there to look at and some excellent work.

I'm still going through the laundry list of build threads. But so far, I've gathered the following...

- Glue used is Testors balsa cement...good for sanding versus the alternatives such as CA (too hard) and white glue (too soft?).
- It looks like you do place the wood pieces a little high to enable sanding to fit.
- It also looks like in some cases, you don't completely fill with wood and let the filler finish the job (such as when the stringers are real close).
- Filler - Hobbylite is a good choice.

If anyone has anything else to add, I'm all "ears" :-)
stic

Postby stic » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:41 am

Thanks again David. Looking forward to going through more of your build threads over on virtual aerodrome.
stic

Foam

Postby icepick » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:32 pm

what about using 3mm foam, and some foam safe CA, instead of balsa?
icepick

Re: Foam

Postby Xanadu » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 pm

icepick wrote:what about using 3mm foam, and some foam safe CA, instead of balsa?

You mean like this?

Xanadu

Foam

Postby icepick » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:02 am

Yes, how is the finished product look, and how is it to sand, cover w/ silkspan, etc...
icepick

Elmer's Wood Filler

Postby lukebozek1 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:40 am

I was thinking about this topic last night, when I was working on a Dumas 225 (ME) and instead of the light hobby filler, I used Elmers wood filler right out of the tube for the fillets around the elevator to body joints. Just keep your fingertips wet and it smooths right out, sanding is minimal and what I don't lick off washes away nicely. Only kidding on that last. I actually use this a lot for pinholes in a frame because it stays right there, never dries out in the tube, and is harder than the balsa around it. That hobbylite is nice, sands easy, but it dries out, and I personally have problems getting it to stick. But it might be just me.
lukebozek1

Return to General Building Questions