Glue?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:39 pm

cliffm wrote:For a short time I used the CA and got some "major" headaches which I finally diagnosed as CA related. I like the stuff for some of those jobs where it's nice to have that quick set but now, only when necessary.

I have a rather violent allergy to CA and can only use it outdoors for field repairs. If there is a place where it is absolutely necessary to use CA in construction I take the project outside. Believe me, if you are ever poisoned by the stuff, the headaches are the least of it and it takes a couple of days to recover. Maybe if I had a fume hood,,,

In the last few years I have been experimenting with less toxic, and "non-toxic", water based materials for model building. I use TiteBond II or III wood workers glue for balsa construction. They are fast setting, very strong and waterproof. I have been using Uhu glue stick to attach tissue and Krylon Crystal Clear to fix it. This is not totally as satisfactory as nitrate dope, since it is water resistant, not waterproof as dope but works well enough for most rubber powered model applications. Painting is done by airbrushing with water based acrylics. I am still flying some 5 year old models that were done this way,

Verathane Diamond finish, water based, clear mixed 50/50 water does as well as dope for a balsa sealer. Experiments with Future floor finish to replace dope or Krylon in fixing tissue are still inconclusive.
kittyfritters

Previous

Return to General Building Questions