First Model

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

First Model

Postby globug069 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:17 pm

Hello everyone. I hope you have patience for a newbie to the modeling world. I am a Canadian gal living in China a have a Chinese friend who is an amazing modeler. I saw some of his tank and soldier models and was completely floored. I didn't know modeling could be like that. It was truly art.

Anyway, I bought my first model which is a Mini Cooper 1275S Rally. I've been giving it a go. One thing I'm curious about first is the order of painting. It seems like it would be easier to paint parts while they are still on the sprue but I was thinking there could be gluing issues. I mean that the glue won't stick well to the painted parts. I painted the chassis and came across this problem and had to scrape some to the paint off to glue properly. Because I'm here in China I can't take classes or really ask anyone for advice so I thought this forum might be my best chance for helpful advice.

I'll be putting a lot of questions here as I go I'm sure. Is there an area here with some step by step instructions? Otherwise I'll just keep forging ahead and doing my best and checking in with you all.

Thanks in advance.
globug069

Re: First Model

Postby SteveM » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:50 pm

globug069 wrote:I thought this forum might be my best chance for helpful advice.

I'll be putting a lot of questions here as I go I'm sure. Is there an area here with some step by step instructions?

This forum is devoted to the building of models made by Guillow's, "a place to talk planes !!". These models are balsa "stick and tissue" airplanes which can be built for display or flying. Since a plastic kit of a Mini Cooper is none of the above this is actually a terrible place to get advice. Some people do have experience with plastic models and could probably help you out, but this is not the place for it.

If you want to build a Guillow's model, why not a P-40 in the Flying Tiger's scheme?
SteveM

Postby dbcisco » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:28 pm

For plastic models (I build them too) check out some of the forums for that, like this one http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/

To answer your question though.I find spray painting on the sprue then lightly sanding where to be glued, followed by touch-up brush works best.

I mix and match my balsa, plastic and foam all the time. Plastic model details on a balsa kit looks soooo much better than the vacu-form parts.
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

Postby globug069 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:28 am

Thank you dbcisco I noticed the...'a place to talk planes!!' after I posted. Thanks for the new website.
globug069

Postby thymekiller » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:31 am

I have to admit, I have a plastic big hemi with drag pipes that I want to put on the front of a plane. :lol: :lol: :lol:

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby dbcisco » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:54 pm

thymekiller wrote:I have to admit, I have a plastic big hemi with drag pipes that I want to put on the front of a plane. :lol: :lol: :lol:

thymekiller

That would look wicked on a Pfalz! :D

Now if Guillows would only re-issue... :cry:
dbcisco

Postby thymekiller » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:29 pm

I checked out that link. Pretty cool stuff. Havent tried that for a looooong time. Makes me think I might give it a try. My lhs has a plastic see through of a b 17.
AS a kid I spent alot of time with plastic models. Thanks for the reminder of "back then"

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby dbcisco » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Yup. I too have a "way back" machine for a hobby(s).
I think foam and electric aircraft are the only thing not from my youth.

I even made a foam A7V shell for my 60's vintage Radio Shack RC tank last month so it would fit in with my airplanes. I mix and match so much that I forget most folks (and forums) keep all these things seperate. Same as when I was young, rebellious . :P
dbcisco

Return to General Building Questions