300 series

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby FLYBOYZ » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi TJH sorry I havn,t logged in been sick!I haven,t tryied low wing serires 300.Very interested.Like to here up dates on it.Well I decided to try my cessna 170 I haven,t painted it The weather was nice so I said lets go for it while we can.frist flight was no power nosed dive in the tall gass.I have a tall grassy area.So I took the plane back to the house and put trim tabs on it .Gave it a little ups on the stab took it back to my test place it flew staight and true. So then Iwound it up 100 turns and trew it lightly 26 feet no porblem so I wound it up again 150 turns flew staright again very stable 48 ft Iwas excided the I decided to put another rubber band in and wound it to 100 truns and this time Iput a good throw in her.There was a little head wind she went up and up I thuogh wow this is going to be good. she fell to the left thinking well she defently pull out at that alttidue and it almost did.Came down and hit on the left landing gear but it left the test area off to the left snaped it out.But I belive its going to be a great flyer once I tweak it a little more.The 170 has a good glide ratio its just it got so high and trun it could not pull out in time.That was due to the wind.cool stuff 8)
FLYBOYZ

Postby FLYBOYZ » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Wow it was side slipping in the wind still at 40 to 50 feet max but hitting wheels first :wink:
FLYBOYZ

Postby bsadonkill » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:24 pm

I have found that the build by numbers models to be better flyers. I have built the Arrow,and Fairchild 24 both are fine flyers. Last winter i built a 300 series Aeronca , i was disapointed with the results. The model turned out too heavy. If i rebuilt the model, or tryed another of the 300 series i would subitute 1/16th wing ribs for 1/32nd wood and maybe 1/16th bulkheads for1/20th.
bsadonkill

Postby thymekiller » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:22 am

I built the 307 cherokee. Just to the bones. It has good lines and a wide wing. Should fly decent.
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby TJH » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:52 am

Hi Thymekiller,
I agree, the wide wing area should promote some stability especially if the correct dihedral is built in it. When I flew the real ones years ago it was a very stable plane and 'floated' well especially when trying to land on a hot day on a short field :wink: .
I have had much success with every Guillow high wing planes with rubber power building to the plans so I am trying to work with the low wings. I have a 500 series FW190 that I will try to fly in the spring, had to put some clay in the nose so we'll see. I'm somewhat new to the forum, how do you attach a picture to a reply?
TJH

Postby FLYBOYZ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:55 pm

I haven,t painted my 170 I did use the old but very effective and cheap way to portect your plane.The guiilows guide say you can use elmers gule cut it 50/50 with water I tryed it on a protion of the wing it does the trick but it will puddels in saggy areas so you have to bursh it out.I like 25/75 25% elmers and 75% this is liter than clear dope and just as good.Well I added thinner trim tabs to the stab on my 170 but longer .Then i added flap tabs using stiff paper and clear scotch tape.ITwas windy again so I wound it up 150 and luached it .It stalled in to the tall grass.Then I put it back in the house and worked on it.The wind stoped at dust dark so i grabbed it up and went back to the test area. wound it to the max way pass 150 tossed it slightly nose down she took off climming out and leveled going pass the test area and landed on its nose.I stepped off 60 feet exactly I was amazzed it wasn,t hurt at all!Great flight need a bigger test area! 8)
FLYBOYZ

Postby supercruiser » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:37 pm

FLYBOYZ wrote:Great flight need a bigger test area! 8)

Now, thats what I like to hear!

That trim tab idea is a good one.

Does is climb steeply when you first launch it? Then stalls and dives after the peak of the climb?
supercruiser

Postby thymekiller » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:34 am

That is good news. Are you still useisg the stock rubber?
thymekiller

Postby FLYBOYZ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Havn,t been able to go to the hobbie shop latley.Iam still using stock rubber bands Well its was one 1/4 inch wide rubber that I maid into tow 1/8 witch help get rid of some troque it still has troque thats why I added trim tabs.It was climbing out too steep due to a strong head wind and to much flap had to adjust it and waited for the wind to die down.Eventualy I will make trim tabs out of alumminium cans so they want be able to give in flight.And I didn,t cover the top cabin and the lower tail fuse so I can change out bubber bands want longer ones for more turns.Painted the nose to night I can build them alot faster than tweaking one out have to be very patient.
FLYBOYZ

Postby thymekiller » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:18 am

Flyboyz seems to have it going on. Has a handle on it. Rock on,dude !!!
Alumin. works.
Also try different thickness of paper. Weighs less and "gives"

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby FLYBOYZ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:32 am

Thats a good idear keep weigth down stiill getting 60 feet flights so I back up 20 feet from test area knowing its covering thats distance safely.pretty weather so I got my p40 out AND trimed it with with paper tabs ranging 45 ft flights man shes quick still needs tweaking too.Iam not messing with the f6f and p51 right now.I was rideing by a cessna 150 all week sating at a grassy runway by a guys house I made a point to go by it evey chance I got.I think this would make a good wood model too.
FLYBOYZ

Postby supercruiser » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:54 am

FLYBOYZ wrote: I didn,t cover the top cabin and the lower tail fuse so I can change out bubber bands

If I understand what you are saying.....Try using a long piece of a coat hanger with a hook on the end to change rubber bands. Put the coat hanger through the opening in the nose and feed it all the back to the tail. Then hook the rubber band to the coat hanger and pull it up to the nose. That way you can cover the top of the cabin.

FLYBOYZ wrote:I was rideing by a cessna 150 all week sating at a grassy runway by a guys house I made a point to go by it evey chance I got.I think this would make a good wood model too.

Isnt' the Guillow Cessna 150 a 300 series, also? :D
supercruiser

Postby FLYBOYZ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi supercrusier I went to hobby lobby they had a cessna 150 in the 300 series then I saw a p26 already to fly rubber band power and it had a winder with it and extra rubber band with will be good for my 170 so I got it I realy liked it good flyer.I go back and get the 150 or 180 they had it too.They usally have them on sell wensdays.It truned out so pertty today I got my F4U corsair out its RC 44 inch wingspan started burnning the sky up Then I called my dad He brought his T28 trostion over and his F4U. we did some fromation flying but I got a little close so we stop and just shot thouch and goes.Then it got kinda of dark so I got my little amber2 out me and him did some slow flying.Then I broke the rubber bands in my 170 HE HE a good day.it was dark so we quit. 8)
FLYBOYZ

Postby supercruiser » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:05 pm

That does sound like you had a grand day, indeed! :D

Did you try the coat hanger suggestion?
supercruiser

Postby FLYBOYZ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:28 pm

I have a thin wire THAT was left over from the p51 kit Did like you said it worked really well.Then I got to thinking I really like looking down in the the fuse and even smelling the balsa wood stange indeed!I got kits wroth hundred times this little 170 but I just love it crazy I know.When I finished it that night I couldn,t sleep kept waking up to see if it was windy it was still dark out side!I got to have that cessna 150 I know this know!Owell know iam really hooked :roll: But its so cool 8)
FLYBOYZ

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions