plastic nose cowl

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

plastic nose cowl

Postby Willie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:22 pm

am building my 2nd guillows model and im having the same problem I had with the first one. The nose cowl is to small to fit over the fuse. Seem to be doing every thing according to the plans but some thing not right.Any help would appreciated.
Willie

Postby supercruiser » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Willie,
Which model are you building? The plastic nose cowl not fitting over the end of the fuselage is quite common. I personally think that it shouldn't fit over
the fuselage but, be exactly the same size, as former "A", depending on the type of airplane.
Anyway, the fix is simple. Sand the outer edge of former "A" until you have reduced it's diameter and the plastic cowl will slip over it. If you already have the model assembled with the stringers glued in, that's o.k. Just sand the outer edge, including the stringers. This will give a sort of notch or step in the end of the stringer. This step will allow for a smooth transition from the plastic cowl to the stringers and make for a better looking fit once you cover the model with tissue.

Does this help? Let us know how it goes.
supercruiser

Postby Greyhound » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:48 pm

supercruiser wrote: The plastic nose cowl not fitting over the end of the fuselage is quite common.

Happening to me to. :roll:
Greyhound

Postby Mad Cap Romanian » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:53 pm

I landed my DeHavelin Chipmunk right on the nose and it cracked it in half!

Anyway, sand the outer edges of the balsa wood will make it fit!
Mad Cap Romanian

Postby thymekiller » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:04 pm

I like mine to fit over the first former. Makes it easy to adjust prop thrust. When on display, I just set it straight. Altho, I dont get that smooth fit. Its better to shim that thrust button. I'm just kinda lazy about some things. :lol:
thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby Angus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:14 am

How I try get a flush joint - I make the stringers stick out front and then sand them with a taper so that the cowl fits snuggly onto them and then flush with the front former. there may be a small gap which I fill with some white glue.
If you worry, you die. If you don't worry, you die. So, why worry!
Angus

Return to General Building Questions