Guillow series 500

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby thymekiller » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:09 am

Cant help with which one to build next. I struggle with that also. So many planes, so little time. :lol:
I also spend most of my build time studying how to build. I think I prefer building over flying. So many options to choose from. If I spent as much time doing it as I spend thinking about it, I could build one everyday. :lol:
RE: props. I have read that a prop for scale models should be around 25% of wing span. Worked out well for me. Bigger, she wants to torque roll, smaller, shes kinda slow for lift. Your results may vary. I'm NOT any kind of expert. Been flying about 1 year. Been building about 4 years. Opposing viewpoints are welcomed.

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby supercruiser » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:45 am

The Flying Models book by Don Ross (Guillow sells them, and bookstores usually have it) gives information on prop selection and much other information. I personally like to experiment. Use one method, take notes, try another method/variation.

RG,
Sounds like you are off to a great start. Please, keep us posted with progress reports, photos, and such.
supercruiser

Postby FLYBOYZ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi Rg Williams!My pamplet on guillows kits show the piper cub super cub series 600 for the beginer build by the numbers.i Almost bought that kit it looks like alot of fun.It shows the next series 700 to be the arrow!It has a 28inch wing span.It say its a beginner buid by the number kit.I question this because of the bent wing tips not good for a beginer to start out with.Adding dihedrale to a wing has to be right and that wing has three dihedrale points not to mention very high angels of attack!The arrow will deffently be a flyer no dout if done porperly!It has a very sleek airframe and will be very forgiving when flying!It looks to aiso have a high glide ratio.I just builded the P51 mustange kit 905 900 series a week ago I love this littile plane.BE RIGHT BACK

Keeping it real
FLYBOYZ

Postby supercruiser » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:39 pm

That multiple dihedral points, also know as polyhedral wing really isn't a problem. The Javelin and Lancer also have this wing feature and they are beginner build by number models. Try it, you'll like it. :D
supercruiser

Postby FLYBOYZ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:44 pm

OK RG Willams Im back. I was telling about the 900 series this kit is build very light weight and is not marked for stringers you have to use the planes to mark your formers and wing ribs donot cut the plans up lay them on top and mark the formers This kit is tedious but fun donot let the diehedral former scare you its right it should be 1 7/8 inch on each side wing tip to flat work bench just glue it in place make sure its in stalled porperly! It is a boxie plane but a fun flyer!The Hellcat 500 seriers is a authentic scale model it will take more time o build and Alot of tweaking to get her to fly right !I read some wheres these are level 2 kits. I have build tow of them this month they are very fine kits and takes alot of paciants.Going to start my hellcat this coming up weekend.Taking a small break for now but Iam getting antise about that hellcat been looking her over.Ps make sure you perp. your rubber bands before installing them I soak my in cooking oil for towdays while in build the plane.I use normal stock rubber bands giving to youin the kit.If you don,t prep. them they will blowapart or shread to peices

Hope this helps
Keeping it real
FLYBOYZ

Postby FLYBOYZ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:48 pm

Thank you supercriuser. I have been thinking about the arrow it looks like fun!
FLYBOYZ

Build Project

Postby RG WILLIAMS » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks for the great information. As noted in an earlier post,the yard sale Arrow has been completed to up to the covering stage. The person who built the fuse and wing must have known what he was doing.The fuse , wing , and control surfaces all look very well done.
I think that I will cover the arrow (Japanese Tissue ? ) and start working on the 900 series Mustang. I have studied the plans of the Mustang very closely and think it should be an ok flyer.
RG WILLIAMS

Postby FLYBOYZ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:55 pm

My pictures are in virtural areodrome .com. Now in have to figure out how to get them over here! 8)
FLYBOYZ

Postby FLYBOYZ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:58 pm

You reall going to love that mustange 900 series Mr.Willams 8)

Keeping it real
FLYBOYZ

Series 900

Postby RG WILLIAMS » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:45 am

Flyboyz,
Your models look great. I really like your work on the P-51 Mustang.The silver color ,very nice.
RG WILLIAMS

Postby FLYBOYZ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Thank you.Imixed regular plastic car paint with clear dope aluminum color.I was loking for a very lite finish.The only thing if you put to much car paint in the clear dope it gets bubbles in it but they will clear up.I used a plactis cup and poured enough clear dope to cover the bottom of the cup!Then added tow dabs of aluminum paint and mixed it will still look transparent untill it dries.Then I went over it again after It dried very good!This borought the color in to the finish.And if you do see bubbles don,t try to brush them they will blind in!Tht mean your mixure is too thick!Think very light!

Keeping it real :wink:
FLYBOYZ

Postby FLYBOYZ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:56 am

Started my F6F Hell cat 500series its a nice kit there is 7 bulkheads and the parts on the basal sheets are scatterd about have to look really good!I like that as you finish your fuselage halfs there is alot of room inside to liteing up and degut!Making sure you not loosing your strength!This fat boy is getting lighter!Bulding it for a radio control unit that I got from a guy on a swap out.Mico stuff I never seen but i figure it out.Mr williams you going to love this kit too.
FLYBOYZ

Postby RG WILLIAMS » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:11 am

It sounds like you have quite a project going. I'm still working on the Mustang,trying to make it lighter and stronger. Let us know how things are progressing with the F6F. I think the Guillow's Cessna 170 or Piper Cub with a 24 in. ws would make a great RC AC. I would think the F6F would be tough to convert to RC. Let us know how things are progressing.
rg
RG WILLIAMS

Postby FLYBOYZ » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:14 am

I ran across a stubling block on my F6F Hellcat.In order to get the landing gearto hold up on landings I going to have to add strenght with is going to add weight.This is the very thing I don,t want.Then I have to add srength to the wing section.I don,t want belly landings.Thought about adding the gear to the fire wall. Then that takes the scale out of it.I work it over see what I come up with! :twisted:
FLYBOYZ

Postby thymekiller » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:37 pm

With scale models, theres always a trade off somewhere......

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions