Guillow series 500

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby SteveM » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Mad Cap Romanian wrote:WOW! So I would be O.K. posting a Comet kit I'm building?
I think there is at least one Comet build thread around here.
SteveM

Postby thymekiller » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:40 am

Thats really cool!!!! If I had known, I would have posted my Comet Taylorcraft. There are ALOT of comet models to choose from.

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Comet Industries P-38 Lightning

Postby BillParker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:02 pm

Comet Industries P-38 Lightning

http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap48.htm

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby thymekiller » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:42 pm

I built that one to the bones. Theres alot of wood on a p38

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby FLYBOYZ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi Iam John from Mobile ALA.I really want to thank you all for sharing.I really have picked up onsome excellent tips in the 500 series and aplly them to my P40 warhawk!It turned out super light and its very streamlined compared to my BF 109 witch was my first kit getting back in to building these kits!My P51 mustange in the 900 series is my best flyer so far.

Thank you all keeping it real!
FLYBOYZ

Postby supercruiser » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi John,
Another returning modeler! Yeah ! Can you post some photos of your models? Either here or maybe www.virtualaerodrome.com?
I was in Mobile. Al for a week, a few years back. Do you get your models from the Hobby Lobby, on the west side of town, going out towards the big airport?
supercruiser

Postby FLYBOYZ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi supercruiser

Yes I will post picture of my P40 soon as I find the down loading cord for my camer!There is a hobbytown and a hobbylobby about one mile west from the airport great places to vist!They are not that big but has a large verity of models to chose from.I just picked up the hellcat today 500 serise its going to be alot of degutting involed!But she going to be a beauty! :wink:

Keeping it real!
FLYBOYZ

Postby FLYBOYZ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Well I got the picture into personal files got to figure out how to get in forum! :oops: [/code]
FLYBOYZ

Postby Xanadu » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:00 pm

You need to upload the pics onto a seperate server like photobucket.

Not too hard to do, I can walk you thru it you like.

First thing you should do is re-size your pictures to about 1024x768 pixels.

Go to http://photobucket.com/ and open a free account.

You can upload them onto their servers, and then link them to here.

If you have problems, PM me your phone number and I will walk you through step by step. Won;t cost me anything, as I have a unlimited calling plan for all of North America.
:D
Xanadu

Postby thymekiller » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:25 pm

On photobucket, if you resize to 600 x whatever, [480 I think] the pic will post full size and you wont have to scroll to read the thread. Always looking forward to p40 pics !!!

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby FLYBOYZ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:06 pm

Actually Thymekiller your the one that got me to get a P40 with that white P40 sating on your work bench and it being 30% off at he hobby shop!I was looking at the sleek designs of the airframe and had to have one.Made its first flight today pushing ahead wind almost 25feet it was beautiful.I know this was no record but Iwas very happy indeed.Took her back to the house and gave her a rest.You also gave me the idear of degutting.She looks fine sitting by my BF109 with is display for now.

Thank you for shareing!

Keeping it real!
FLYBOYZ

Postby thymekiller » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:51 pm

You are very welcome. I love the warhawk, but 30% off is a big factor too !!!! Glad you enjoyed yours. This hobby is a blast. I'm sure we could find MANY links on putting your Guillows on the Jenny Craig plan. I got most of my ideas from this site.
Maybe some others could post links to threads.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby thymekiller » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 pm

Smoking beaver has an excellant thread on another forum. It is MUCH more complete and it is Wonderfully written. Is it ok to put a link here for it?

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby FLYBOYZ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Next weekend I will start my hellcat got four days .I will start it and finish it.Framed the P40 in a day and a half spent half a day making it RC didn,t want to build a porp and the weight was alittle heavie it would have worked but I knew the fist landing was going to break a wing.So I spent tow days taking the equipment out and finishing it and putting the rubbers in.I went ahead and added access panel on the front right nose.Very simple but effective.I just cut he tape to get in there .lots of room because its deguted but I left strength in case of a nose in crash!I will work on getting pictures for you guys that what makes this fun!I would have hated to be the guys that seen the P40 on there six!It look like it was ready to eat something up!Thats why it was called the shark mouth.

Keeping it real!
FLYBOYZ

Many thanks.

Postby RG WILLIAMS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:52 am

Many thanks to all for your thoughtful comments to the original post. All the posts have been interesting and educational. I did purchase the recommended 500 series kit,the F6F Hellcat. I also selected a series 900 kit,the P-51 Mustang.The Guillow's literature describes this series to be "great flyers " if built light. The box art of the P-51 shows a WW2 scene.The decals in the box are those of a post WW2 Air Force. A Red stripe between two White bars.I guess the AC could be built as a Korean War F-51.
I also noticed a Cessna 170 series 300 kit by Guillow.WS 24 inches. It can be converted to electric or gas free flight. It looked really nice. I was tempted. Perhaps after more experience.
As luck would have it,last week at a yard sale, I found an unfinished series 700 Arrow from 1989 and an unopened Piper Super Cub , kit 602. WS 20 inches. Both kits for 6 dollars. The Arrow's balsa structures are completed. Covering is all that remains. The kit box also contains two large props. These are very light and several inches longer than the furnished kit prop. They could be up-rated props for increased performance.
To assist in building light I have a letter scale readable from 0.1 grams to 500 grams.
My building time has been spent not in building but learning how to build.Compiling information on building light,how to cover, what coverings to use,etc,etc. So much to know but very interesting to learn.
It's now time to jump in and build. Which one to start with? Complete the Arrow,start the Piper Cub 95 kit 602 , Mustang 900 Series , or F6F Hellcat 500 series?
Thanks for all your information.
Best Regards,
rg
RG WILLIAMS

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions