cool vid

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

cool vid

Postby thymekiller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:36 pm

"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby thymekiller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:59 pm

My bad, I should have introduced them. They are 1 and 2 of a covering of a 400 series mustang fuse. Does each half in one piece.
Cool and funny.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby supercruiser » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Veeerrrry interesting. Yep, you blew it, thymekiller, should have titled this post: Covering Videos. Thanks for posting. I look on youtube for videos such as these to post on this site. The only worthwhile one I saw was a guy repairing a Wakefield. Maybe we could start a post just with construction video links???
supercruiser

Postby SteveM » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Impressive covering videos, I might have to try it some time. Basically use white UHU everywhere, wet Japanese tissue with water, pull tight, apply more water as needed, dry with hot air gun, then trim the excess tissue.
SteveM

Postby Xanadu » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:48 pm

thymekiller wrote:My bad, I should have introduced them. They are 1 and 2 of a covering of a 400 series mustang fuse. Does each half in one piece.
Cool and funny.

thymekiller

That's how I do mine with dope and wet silkspan, 1/2 fuselage at a time.
Xanadu

Postby thymekiller » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:53 am

Supercruiser, good idea. I learned alot from that vid. I was worried about dope over glue stick, but not any more. I also like the notion that not every plane has to be a world beater. I model just for fun.

We could use this thread to post construction vids. When someone asks: how do you cover, just link to here. Dont know if its still there ,but there was a guy who covered a wing with monokote in 5 minutes. A vid on braiding and winding would be VERY helpful.

Later, I'm going to do some crash testing of glues and different stuff. could link to things like that for referance.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby John G. Jedinak » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 am

The wifes hair dryer works like a charm to dry the wet tissue and speed up the drying of white glue. Been using it for years.
John G. Jedinak

Postby supercruiser » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:30 pm

Going with the video link idea; How about if I start a completely new thread. Title it: "Building Balsa Model Airplanes: video links".

How does that sound? This would be a no discussion thread. Any discussions about the context of the videos should be in a new post.
Also, as each person posts a new link, they should number it in sequence, for easier reference. Or just give it a unique title???? I can preamble the whole post with these guidelines.
supercruiser

Postby thymekiller » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm cool with that. It would make orginizing easyer. Anybody else have a thought? I could make a vid on some things. Others would be best left to folks with better skills. Suggested vids that I would like to see:
Braiding rubber. [I still cant figure that out]
Getting the wood parts out of the sheets. [Got some cool tricks]
Templates for multi wing craft.
Sanding l.e. and t.e.
Balancing.

This could be a great thing.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby thymekiller » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Block sanding and how to make a sanding block/sanding stick.
Sanding and scalloping a fuse.
Building a straight keel and former fuse.
Lamination.

Little short explainations for some of the more comman questions.
If there is more than one way to do it, we make more than one vid on that subject.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Re: cool vid

Postby Bob S » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks for the vid. I am in the process of building the exact plane. I haven't built one since I was about 10 years old. I'm having a riot. I was worried about covering it. Guess I should have started on an easier one.

What the heck, give it a try, right?

Bob
Bob S

Postby thymekiller » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:06 pm

GO FOR IT !!!
Big debate between starting easy and starting with what you love. I say let your heart decide. If you finish it you can always do another. Remember, it doesent have to be perfect, it just has to be fun.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby thymekiller » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:06 am

I think that Supercruiser's idea is a good one. The question is , now what? Anybody have an idea for the next vid? What comman question does a newbie have. What question did you have way back when?
We have a more than a couple newbies with us now. Lets ask.

Greyhound, is there something you would like to see?

Its that easy.
We talk about getting new blood into the hobby. NOW is our shot at doing something about it. U-tube offers a greater exposure than any other media has ever offered. Shall we use that, or wait for others to do it for us? [ Without us ]
Most Guillows use a keel and former fuse. How about a vid on the use of a small "square" . Show how to build the first side so that the second side matches. Did you know that the corner of a Guillows box can make a perfect building square? The sides of the box make a good straight edge.
A 5 minute vid about the importance of being square.
A vid on how to cover a plan and where to stick the pins?
Basic stuff. Thats why they come here. I will make and post a vid. You only need to outline the content. Feel free to make your own vid.
A vid on the basic tools. 3 minutes showing the knife and wax paper and glue.

Not a do-all end-all final word on construction. Just an outline and basic guide that goes along with the little book that comes with every Guillows kit. Alot of folks wont admit it, but that little book was the first clue I ever got. Them too. Other kits dont offer the construction hints that Guillows does. U-tube could be a valueble expansion of those tips. Also a "draw."

PLEASE comment.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby supercruiser » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:27 am

I noticed that from the forum discussions: tissue covering and painting with acrylics got a few thousand views. Obviously, popular subjects. (First Guillow kit your ever built and whats your age, I think got the most views around the 6000 range.)

Thymekiller, if you can make your own video, please do. I don't have the capability to upload video. I think, you've got the right idea with basic construction techniques. Those little tidbits make a difference in the final outcome of the model.

Maybe I can talk to my computer guru brother-in-law and see what can be done.
supercruiser

Postby thymekiller » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:23 pm

How about if I do a vid on keel and former construction?
I know a cool trick to make a square out of the box corners. Helps to set the formers. I know another cool trick for setting the "other side "of the formers with the box sides. I have gotten pretty handy with trimming wood off the fuse to save weight, but of course, that comes at the price of a weaker structure. Should I include these things, or stay moderate. I dont want to mislead any new people.
I am going to make this vid, and I will use a Guillows 400 series plane. Please advise me on doing it proper.
Thinking of getting a young person to be on film. I'm not so pretty to look at and I think a young person could relate better to the intended audience.
Any thoughts? Opions? advice?

thymekiller
thymekiller

Next

Return to General Building Questions